Monday, November 8, 2010

Walnut to White


It's no secret that around these parts, second hand is second nature. I especially like finding inexpensive mid century design furniture with straight simple lines that I can lug home. I lugged this dresser home, not recently, I've had it for years. I'll have to let you imagine, I don't have a before shot. It was a typical walnut {not heirloom quality} high boy dresser, no hardware, just these little finger grooves under each drawer and simple legs.
So far, this is what I've done to it over the years: painted it green, added hardware, and replaced the legs (keeping the originals) until I saw this picture:
(Source Unknown, but if you know please comment!)

EDITED: Image via Decorpad

I love everything about this inspiration photo, from the trellis design on the wall down to the metallic heels, and especially the squirrel! The sideboard is fantastic, the ring pulls are great and I love the nail detail (if that's what it is).
Now while my dresser is obviously a different shape, I knew I could take the elements I liked from this sideboard and apply them to my little dresser. So it got a coat of white paint, new sleeker pulls, and I changed the legs out {again} because I wanted this as a side table in the living room and needed it lower. Can you guess what I used for legs? You guessed it, fence finials, all I will say is, have you priced bun feet lately? Ouch.
She was looking better already. Continuing with white in the living room since the fireplace face lift, white has been an on going trend, and I'm really liking everything. So white was a natural choice.
Next comes the nail detail. I had some upholstery nails left from my inspiration board project, and I used every last one for this. I will tell you I was nervous about it, but if you could see it in person, it is worth the stress! At any rate, it would be easy to patch any holes.
I love the detail that it added, while still staying modern looking, and even though it's still a little taller than the sofa, it's going to make a great side table, with the bonus of storage. It was super simple, the upholstery nails went in the wood just like nails...just a combination of a little measuring and eye-balling. Bun feet would probably get it down to the right level, maybe I will invest in some.....
Time to accessorize. Fall is creeping it's way out and neutrals making their way back in. My spray painted ginger jar, painted faux antlers, and painted Wal-mart tray....I don't think I told you that I spray painted a second round tray green, so I have an orange one (for Summer) and a green one for everyday.
I hung my Mothers mirror over the dresser, I will never do anything differently to this mirror. It's from when my parents got married in 1963, and it hung over the sofa in the living room for my whole life. I did put additional hardware on it to hang vertically. I love it.
The lamp is super mod, love that mixed with the old pieces, finishes it off!
I think my little dresser has had it's final make-over, I love it.
I hope you are inspired and thanks for stopping by!!





21 comments:

  1. Very chic! I love the way the upholstery nails look! Very ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did to this chest. Great transformation and love the vignette you created for it. Would love for you to join my before and after party tomorrow night with this so others will be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I always admire your way with things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way, I'm in the process of re-finishing our dining chairs we scored at a consignment store this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that is awesome. I love the added touch of the upholstery nails. So cool!

    I linked it on my tatertots FB page :)

    xo
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with your makeover side table. The nails made it unique and gave it character. Thanks for sharing your great redo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great. You were really inspired by that picture. And, you were not afraid!! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to stop by to say I love your new design! The blog looks fantastic. :) Oh, and the dresser makeover does, too!
    Warmly,
    Greta
    @ Modern Garden

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice. The nails give it the added touch of character! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful transformation. Love the chest and your vignette is gorgeous. Thanks for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new blog design! It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever. I want those shoes.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic transformation! You know, you could always put some of those little tack thingies in the sofa legs to bring it up instead of the dresser down...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, What a vision you had! This turned out great, and I love the modern lamp with the traditional mirror and that touch of lime green. Beautiful. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is awesome! I would love for you to come link up at my Strut Your Stuff party!

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love you style, your home is so beautiful.
    Freda

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle