Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Mantle 2010

(Photo taken this evening)

Sometimes it's a little sad transitioning from one season to another, I have really enjoyed having the fireplace all decked out for Fall, it was a little bittersweet taking it all down. But on the other hand, I couldn't wait to get geared up for Christmas, and yes I am a Gemini. :)

To get a fresh start and look, I stripped the fireplace down to nothing, save the mirror. I did some dusting and got down to business.


The white has been so great to work with, it's been a decorating guessing game each season since the fireplace facelift, but it has really been pleasing so far. For fall, I kept the mantle pretty symmetrical, so for Christmas I decided to do an offset look.
Green and brown are the colors, with silver and snow mixed in. While most everything is artificial, using some real things like pine cones and branches help the artificial things look a little more realistic. A super tall vase with pine, pine cones and branches reaching all the way to the ceiling anchor the left side. The snowflake garland was inspired by Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute, she made a similar one using jingle bells, great idea Sarah, thank you. It took Justin and I 30 minutes to make, I braided the jute twine and he untangled! :) I have had those silver snowflakes for years and love a new way to incorporate them. Check out Sarah's tute, I did!

Cedar garland with lights and pine sprigs across the mantle, a cedar wreath on the mirror that I put silver ornamnets in
The right side of the mantle is anchored with two chunky wooden candleholders. I love these, I got them the last time I went home, they resemble bamboo, and I think they look a little unexpected for Christmas.
I filled in with cylinder vases filled with ornaments and bellani pods, and aluminum letters that spell Noel
In the non-working firebox, I put more cylinder vases with candles softened with more cedar and pine. I want to get some logs to put in there too, I didn't get the chance yet.
I love the oversized snowflakes, they add a little bit of whimsy and suggest the cold winter months ahead. {ugh} I just used a suction cup on the mirror and leaned some. I don't know if you can tell, but there are two hung super high, I used push pins for those, they aren't very heavy at all.
I can't believe I didn't use any ribbon, I'm usually such a ribbon hound! I might tie some ribbon around the candle holders. :)
I'm still working on the Christmas tree, I'm really loving the planter for it! So I hope you come back to see that as soon as I get it done. I can't wait to get some tablescapes rolling too!
Thank you for stopping by, I hope you are inspired! If you'd like to see even more photos of this and more, please visit my Flickr Photostream.
Joining Layla for the Christmas Mantle Party.
The Lettered Cottage

BCD

59 comments:

  1. it looks beautiful, michelle! those chunky candleholders are awesome! love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the textures and colors!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mantel is gorgeous, Michelle! I like the wreath hung on the mirror. I would love for you to join my holiday linky party starting on 12/15. I hope to see you there.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asymmetry is so hard for me. You nailed it! Even my honey loves it. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, your mantel is beautiful. It is whimsy mixed with modern. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Don't change a thing.....it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your mantle!!! You have inspired me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so beautiful and elegant! Trying to finish up mine! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I love it all lol... Can't wait to see your tree! :) Have a blessed night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning! Just simple, classic and beautiful. You never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just took down my fall mantle and am waiting for inspiration for the Christmas decorating. Took away a few sweet ideas today, thanks for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    This certainly is pretty and I admire your restraint...wish I had a little of that, but I am trying(-: This is all a perfect compliment to the rest of you decor.(-: And fianlly, thank you for visiting me and finding the time to leave such a nice comment I hope you will come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful coloring and layering!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty!! I just love the pinecones in the big glass vase. I love the color combo you used with the balls in the glass vases. Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, it looks gorgeous! I like the asymmetry of what you did. Love the look of the pine cones and the glass balls in the glass containers and the wreath on the mirror. You are giving me some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty! I love the snowflakes and the wreath on the mirror. So fun!

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I love the looseness of the greenery and the lights along the back. May have to try that this year. I'm at the empty, but dusted mantel stage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful, I LOVE it! I am slow in getting our Christmas stuff out this year, mostly because I am not entirely sure how I want to decorate, ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. STunning Michelle. Green and Brown...*sigh* Just when I thought I was in love with my pale aqua and glitter....Just crazy pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely gorgeous!! I love the offset look. I am such a symmetrical decorator.....I need to see if I can pull off an asymmetrical display. Love the colors too.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. that looks gorgeous, i love the browns and the natural elements from the pinecones, etc. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your mantel and you just gave me some wonderful ideas for mine that I am constantly rethinking each year. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely mantel! Your really made that space shine. I am sure you are highly enjoying sitting in your pretty living room right now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mantel is amazing! I love the rustic touch with the branches. I used white branches on my mantel. Such a great way to add height and texture to the mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish I had a fireplace. STUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful mantel! May I ask if there's anything else stuck in your wreath? It has such great body and texture to it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks! The wreath is a combination of cedar, eucalyptus, and balsam fir pine on a styrofoam wreath (all faux).

    ReplyDelete
  29. It really looks great! I love tbe before shot lets you see how amazing it really looks

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness! It is SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I adore your color combination and I like the off balance thing going on - makes it fun and interesting!
    Beautiful Mantel.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  32. Michelle, I would say you made a beautiful transition from Fall to Christmas. Love the color combination,Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  33. I *love* it! Love those mini pinecones and the greenery. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I always love to see what creative things you're doing! This is just gorgeous. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stunning! I love the way you've styled your mantle for Christmas. I'm not sure what I like best because I like it all!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love how you mixed the natural with the sparkle. What a beautiful mantle! I think yours is one of my favorites on the tour so far!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Extremely attractive. You are so creative. Your fireplace looks awesome!

    Sell WoW Account

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very beautiful, love the nature touch!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very pretty mantle, so much to learn from this layout. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Who would ever think that green and brown could look so good for Christmas. This is such a lovely elegant combination.

    ReplyDelete
  41. good idea to have mirrors in the fireplace when not on fire but candles .. have to pinch that idea

    ReplyDelete
  42. Michelle! I just LOVEEEE your mantle! It is stunning! Question-is the garland fresh or faux? I just would love to create that same look with the greenery! THANKS! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  43. Also-if it is faux...where did you find it? Or is it a mix of different greenery that you created into some sort of garland? THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jill, thank you! It is an artifical cedar garland that I have had for many, many years. I know that it's from a company called Allstate Floral, but I've never seen it again. I did add a few sprigs of a long needle pine in around the vase, again I've had it for years. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Beautiful! How did you get the wreath to stick on the mirror???? It makes it look so shiny...and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anon, I used a big suction cup for the wreath, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. How did you attach the wreath to the mirror?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anon, I attached the wreath with a large suction cup, I think I found it at Lowe's

    ReplyDelete
  49. Where did you get your round mirror? I have a large white mantle and this would look awesome on it too :) love you decorating style !

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hobby Lobby has the round mirrors and sometimes 50% off...

    ReplyDelete
  51. Where did you find the faux eucalyptus? It looks like the seeded eucalyptus variety and I'm having a hard time finding it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle