The fireplace was not much to look at, not to mention too traditional for my taste.
A couple of years ago, Justin built what we jokingly call the "fireplace slipcover", meaning he built a box that went over the existing fireplace, just to make it look a little more modern. I wanted the fireplace to stay for resale value...I did a faux finish on it, but I still wanted to improve on the idea, and now lighten it up a lot. Now in my my proverbial 'dream house', I dream of a cut rock fireplace...but that is still a long way off.
I came up with a design that would add a little interest above the fireplace, and dress up the slipcover without too much $$$, we have a zero to nothing budget. :) Inexpensive 1X4's and trim, a gallon of primer and the cheapest white paint I could find.
We primed everything, but then I decided to add another layer to the front, so add a sheet of half inch MDF to the shopping list! Also, I didn't like how the hearth looked, so we used the rest of the sheet of MDF to clean up the look of the hearth.You can see it best in the after pictures below.
I like how it gave the face of the fireplace a little interest. I used some cove moulding to clean up the edge.
A simple and thrifty mantle display for the remainder of the Summer, everything is second-hand (and spray painted :), except for the shell ball and starfish. I am already contemplating the upcoming seasons, this should be fun!
I love the chandy reflecting back.
For very little money, we were able to give the fireplace a whole new look! It did take me a little over a week to finish, but I am so happy with the result! Clean and fresh and modern, just what I wanted!
Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you're inspired!
(In case you're wondering, I am still trying to decide whether I like my laurel wreaths above the windows black or white....:)
Sarah's Before and After Party