Monday, June 28, 2010

Red, White & Blue


Oh the fun of this time of year! Can I name some of the fun activities? Gardening, hiking, picnics, the beach, the lake, cherry slushies...and let's not forget Summer BBQ's! They are my favorite, my FIL has some skills on the grill, I can't wait till this weekend!
For the fourth, I decided to create a flag by way of place mats, let me explain....

Using canvas, I created place mats, painting the stars and stripes, to make one big flag. OK, that is confusing, just look at the picture!
I used an existing place mat to use for a pattern and cut the canvas out. Now, as they say, hind sight is 20/20...I wasn't sure what kind of pattern I was going to do, so I went along and cut the place mats out, got them primed, still thinking about what I was going to do....I thought I was going to do a flag on each one, or stripes on all, or, and or, and, or....I finally came up with this concept...if I had a 'do over', I would have simply painted a flag and then cut it out, but oh well, at least you can learn from my mistake!
I painted the canvas before I hemmed it so when I did do the hemming, the edges would be nice and finished. For the stripes, I used painter's tape, which was super simple. Once the paint had dried, I blurred the edges, so it didn't look like I had used tape. For the stars, I wanted to create something different. This is my fourth flag project, I wanted to do something a little special. I broke out my trusty star template and randomly eye-balled a star "burst" pattern, then set out on my way of the tedious task of painting around each and every star...whose idea was this!?! I'm just kidding, not about the time it took, it did take some time, but I find painting very relaxing. It forces me to s l o w d o w n.
...finally I was done painting, and threw on a coat of gloss Mod Podge. I love a project when I can use Mod Podge and a 2 inch paint brush and really get some mileage! It sealed up nicely and gave it a nice finished look.

To hem it up, I used a very high tech substance. The glue gun. I was out of heat n bond, so I resorted to my old friend. It worked like a charm!
So I've got my hand painted place mats, Milk glass and apples....

....fun and festive blue dessert plates, cheery red flatware, crisp white dinner plates.....
I'm well on my way to a fantastic tablescape!

Wicker chargers, and the place settings, were looking great! I loved how the place mats were working out!


Cobalt goblets, I've been using these a lot, I love them!

And just so you don't think I put down the spray paint for just one minute, I upcycled some veggie cans into my centerpiece. I washed them, sprayed them red and added little flags and hydrangeas, really cute! I spared no expense! ;)
I think the hydrangeas are the stars and the ribs on the can are the stripes!


I cannot wait to recreate this at my MIL's house!

I hope you are inspired to create a wonderful patriotic table for your family and friends!

Thank you for the wonderful response I received to the Coke Crate Flag! We really have been enjoying it!



My first Flag project...I still can't believe how easy this project was!



Last but not least, my Flag Banner. It hangs on the front porch, I think I'll leave it up all the time!


I just had to share this! I love to see people try my projects and live to tell about it! Michele is a friend and reader, look what she created! She did a fantastic job on her Flag Banner! Those red bottles are fantastic!
Thank you so much for stopping by! I really hope you are inspired to create something beautiful!
I am going to take a little break until after the Holiday weekend. Have a wonderful Fourth of July, and God Bless America!
Centsational Girl

SYS Thurs
Visit thecsiproject.com



Tablescape Thursday with Susan at

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

59 comments:

  1. beautiful tablescape indeed, love it all! The placemats are to die for, and the milk glass oooooooo LOVE, and the apples, and wicker chargers?!?! all so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all! I love that you threw in those wicker chargers to break up all the red, white, and blue. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table is amazing. What a great idea to paint those cans red, and add flowers! Great job on the "flag" too.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - that is an awesome project!!! LOVE it! You did a wonderful job. Happy fourth!

    XOXO
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tablescape is beautiful! Love the design of your stars on the placemat!
    I'm having a patriotic give-away if you'd like to stop by-Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a gift. That is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Michelle, I love it all, the blue and reds in your china cabinet are so amazing, I love how you staged it. I am envious of all your cheery 4th of July decor. Love the placemats bty. Marla

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow- that looks awesome!! you are much more patriotic than i. looks great! when are we coming over for bbq? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table looks fantastic. What great ideas and wonderful photos. Have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,
    you just blow me away with your splendid set of skills! Your tablescapes, crafting projects, and superb photography skills are truly a gift from God! Thank you for sharing with us!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! You are so creative and talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ilove your placemats and your tablescape is fabulous! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your tablescape... very nicely done! (I have those white bowls too)! Very patriotic!!

    Lindsay @ A Design Story

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWESOME!! Love, love, love the flowers in the coke container! So vintage! So classic!!

    Fantastic photos, too. (I hate that I rushed mine this week/had to use the flash!! ARRGGGH)

    Hugs, Lana

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are just THE BEST with all you share :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your creativity is off the charts, I am in LOVE with this table setting. Swooning over those cobalt glasses and your red/white/blue hutch display. LOVE this so much, thanks for linking !
    Have a most relaxing weekend,
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mother of Mercy, I LOOOVE your tablescape! I did one, well actually 2 patriotic tables today and will post one on Susan's Tablescape Thursday...please stop over! The placemats you made are FANTASTIC! It all looks terrific! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely gorgeous! The placemats are fantastic and really "make" the tablescape! The red/white/blue colours are so vibrant and striking and your photos have captured it perfectly!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  19. Simply gorgeous Michelle. Everything is beautiful! Love the placemats - that's so creative and super cute. You whole dining area is so festive and TDF! Fantastic job - wish I could come BBQ with you! Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for visiting my blog & commenting :)

    Your table and all these ideas are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Luv, luv, luv, this....so pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks awesome! I feel so unprepared for the 4th, but I will definitely have to try some of your ideas next year! Have a great day! ~Andrea
    http://www.andreasattic-andrea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everything looks fantastic! All those projects will last for many 4th of July's to come. Your work is simply beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. You could write a book! The overall effect is stunning, but I'm swooning over the placemats. I love how you made 4 into a flag - so clever!

    Would love for you to stop by tonite (9 pm PST) and link up to Fab Finds for the Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love designs where you sometimes drastically switch up things you already have to turn them into holiday decor.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love everything about your tablescape. It's fabulous!!! Love the place mats.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it all Michelle, you are so talented!!! Thanks for posting my flag..you inspire me!!!! Looking forward to more great ideas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great table! I found the red flatware at GW the other day, and I was so happy cause I had been admiring yours! Hope you and your family have a fantastic Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was very inspired and now I want to do some flag projects too. I think some of the others are easier, but I really really love the new placemats. What a fun idea and they certainly will be the center of attention. The carnations are just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing on Tablescapes Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with Jacqueline (my sister) about how fun it was to look at all your red, white, and blue projects! The placemats were amazing! I also love the blue plates and the apples just topped off this very patriotic tablescape! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Fourth of July! You certainly have put a lot of work and creativity into your tablesetting! Just love it! Keep the flag out - it's terrific!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Michelle, I love your little corner of Blogville. This is truly one of the most inspiring tablescapes ever! I love the placemants. Such a clever idea! And the apples in the white milk glass, those great blue plates, . . . I could go on and on. I'm so happy to have discovered your site. I'm adding myself as a new follower as soon as I hit the "post comment" button.
    Happy 4th of July! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  33. You've got the creative thing going with the result being a wonderfully playful tablescape. Tin cans with flowers get me every time....love it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is all amazing. So much like the tables I set but I have never tried to make place mats. Yours are awesome. When I saw your blue plate with the red flatware, I thought for a minute it was one of MY photos. I have an upcoming post with that same concept...:)
    Happy 4th..

    ReplyDelete
  35. I commented on this great table last night, but I have a question. I love those blue plates. Do you know who makes them or where I can get some?
    Thanks,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your red,white and blue! I especially love your blue dishes! Great job on the placemats too! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome! My little red/white/blue brooch is fading in comparison... You have obsiously thought of every little detail in this tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I adore your patriotic spirit. It is red, white and bluetiful!

    I hope you'll stop by for my bbq on an Anthropologie inspired white tablecloth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love everything about your tablescape, especially the genius canvas flag placemats. Cute and clever! All your flag projects look great, I love that theme and use it alot at home and with my dolls. Have a wonderful Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the whole table. I am going to try making some placemats-those are wonderful. ALso love the little milk glass bowls. So cute. It looks fantastic.Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Michelle... I love love love what you've done... every part of it... fabulous! Hmmmm... you've made me want to have a 4th of July party... okay maybe next year! Blessings to you and thanks for all the creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Absolutely fabulous as usual......Happy July 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I scarcely know where to begin! Everything here is executed so impeccably! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow! I don't even know which feature is my favorite! I love ALL of it.....but maybe the Coke crate flag? Lurve it!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a creative idea to make the flag as placemats. Your table shows so many creative ideas! And how nice is that Coke crate flag.All is very inviting and cheery. Nice table to celebrate a wonderful 4th of July, which you hopefully will have.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your table looks so utterly patriotic...♥♥♥ the place mats and the red can/vases are a great idea for recycling.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Michelle, you are so creative and so talented! Those place mats are great! Love your layers of red, white and blue, and of course you already know I love your coke crate flag and your flag banner. Can you just come to my house and do some creating for a week or two? Happy 4th of July! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  48. Wow what a great project. I love the place mats and also how you incorported the red, white and blue in the tableware. Great job! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wonderful job on the placemats, Michelle! The dark wood of the table and the wicker chargers add a nice organic feel. Your beautiful photographs really show off the vibrant, patriotic colors and capture the wonderful variety of textures. Love the white flowers in the "enhanced" metal cans!

    Have a very happy 4th!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  50. You know what? I just saw the thumbnail picture of this post, and I knew it was yours! I thought, "That looks like MIchelle!" And I was right!! You are entirely too talented!

    Have a very happy Fourth!
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow!!! I LOVE all your festive ideas!! Great job on the decor, and everything! Visiting from the weekend wrap up party
    justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love your patriotic take on things ... just beautiful. I am fortunate to have a nice collection of milk glass, too. It's wonderful to decorate with. Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I don't decorate for the 4th of July (even though it is almost my favorite holiday). But your tablescape makes me want to!! I can't believe how much I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Thanks for visiting -and- commenting on our little blog!

    Girl, you are too good! And you are making my little flag that is stuck in the mud look really bad right about now!

    But, I am totally going to rip off your place mats! Sorry.. But they are just too good not to steal!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Great tablescape. Love your lacy milk glass. It looks fabulous. Awesome job on the place mats.

    I host a weekly meme, "Summer Sundays". It's all about what summer means to YOU. Hope you'll come and join the fun.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  56. If your homeowner's association allows it, this decision can really give character to your home. It can make your home instantly distinctive, and because there has been a focus to improve the product in recent years, the terracotta look that you may be imagining, although it's a great look, need not be your final choice. Clay has recently been used to mock the look of a wooden shingles, and other looks and colors are also available.roofs fort worth, tx

    ReplyDelete
  57. This is one of the prettiest tables I have ever seen on a blog. I'm a nut about milk glass. I have a nice collection that I rarely use. I display it in the cabinets, but not on my table. I will definitely be bringing it out. I want to use one of your photos from pinterest. Is that okay? I will definitely recognized your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am Justin and I moderate for this blog. The answer is "Yes!" and I thank you for the recognition.

      Delete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle