Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bookshelf Styling and A New Piece




I was running errands in Carthage the other day and stumbled upon a great flea market. I had never been in so we decided to pop in and see if there was anything good. It was a pretty good one and I found some nice pieces....some candle holders, a small mirror, a small vase and this plaster architectural piece. It was a nice statement piece and a great size, just over 3 feet long. I knew just where I wanted to hang it.



Just to give you an idea of where the bookcases are, this is a small wall just to the left after you walk in the front door. They are facing the fireplace. I keep referring to them as they because it's actually two of a kind that I have side by side. They have lived on this wall for a while, but I like the fact that I can break them up if I want to. They are each 32" wide and are just over 6' tall. They do a great job of balancing out the fireplace wall and fit well on a small awkward wall. The computer desk is adjacent to the bookcases and I use some of the lower cubbies for officey type things, but there is nothing wrong with mixing decorative living room items with functional office ones. When you live in a small space, you gotta do whatcha gotta do, right? :)
Back to the piece. I didn't touch the finish, this is exactly how I found it. It is made out of plaster and pretty heavy. I think I was drawn to it because of the egg and dart motif, I've always liked that detail.





I was thrilled when the finish was so close to the wall color, I knew I was hanging it above my bookcases and didn't want too much contrast with the wall color.I wanted the contrast to be with the bookcases themselves, so that was a great that I didn't have to paint it.


Well, you know how it goes, one thing leads to another, once I hung the new piece.....I had to clean and dust everything, which lead to a complete redo of the bookcases. The domino effect. :) It needed to be done anyway, I hadn't restyled the shelves for a while and it's nice to clean and freshen things up a bit.




Shelf detail:




Look at my new little baby owl perched on a book. I found him at the flea market too. He might get a coat of spray paint, I'm not sure...I'm kinda liking him like he is.


The bookcases are so modern, which I love, but I also love how the new piece softens it up a bit. I typically have framed art up there (take a look HERE) but it was just more boxes on boxes on boxes. Once I had hung the new piece, I was happy with the decision.




Of course one of my favorite things to do is mixing modern elements with rustic things, so I used a pair of glass vases (you've seen these on the mantle before), perched one on top of my painted pedestals, and my hourglass vase. I put moss in the vase and just love how that looks. Very simple.


I hope you're inspired to restyle your bookcases or built-ins! Thanks for stopping by!







I'm still working on the master bedroom, if you read my fabric saga, you know where I am on that. I've ordered the "new" main fabric, so hopefully it will be here shortly! I hope I like it! LOL!

If you'd like to take a look at some more pictures take a look HERE.


UndertheTableandDreaming












10 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS! Flea markets huh? Maybe I need to go! I just moved in to our new house a couple months ago and while I like the look of everything, I think so many spots are missing a little something ... I can't explain what! You wanna do a few posts with pictures of my house and everyone can critique it? I need help!! hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, also, where did you get that office chair? Right now I have a folding chair in our office because I haven't found "the one." I don't want a pricey one, but just a cute little statement piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely! That is one of my favorite things to do! You did a great job with the pops of white and light colors. Shelving can be so dark and that really draws your eye to it. I say leave the owl white, he's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, thank you!

    Cristy, that is the gilbert chair from Ikea. I don't live near an Ikea, but that is one of the few things they ship from their website. My husband had it together in seconds practically! :) I think it was around 40.00 if I remember right. If you are serious about sharing pictures, please do send them to me. sweetsomethingdesign@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the arrangements. Also REALLY like the new architectural piece. You must have it bolted to the wall!
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bookcase looks fantastic. They are so challenging to get right. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks awesome I've always had issues with styling bookshelves properly, but yours looks wonderful, so thank you for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect arrangement. Yes, it is best for inspiring to restyle your bookcases or built-ins. I sure it is very easy to take any stuffs from your collection, For me your post is best for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is one of my favorite things to do! You did a great job with the pops of white and light colors. Shelving can be so dark and that really draws your eye to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle