Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Halloween Scenery

Last year, I totally waited until the last minute to decorate for Halloween, but this year, I've gotten a head start. We have such a large turnout of trick-or-treaters, that we usually go all out. Not in a scary way, just a fun and festive way.




I always try to do something different each year just to keep the same ole stuff looking fresh. Now what I've done this year, you will either think I'm a genius or think I'm a nut. Last year, I painted the door black, check it out HERE. Well, what I didn't mention was the fact that I used chalk board paint. At the time, I did it because after using two other types of black paint and going insane over the roller marks, I tried chalk board paint and it did the trick. Fast forward to today, and it dawns on me that I could have a little fun with this!
I basically just outlined the panels with chalk, but it made it look sort of cartoon like and very Halloweenish!







I also went a little crazy on my fall wreath too. I changed out the plaid bow that I had on it for fall (which I'll put back on after the 31st) in lieu of a Halloween bow. I used three different ribbons and left the exaggerated tails extra long. I added a little wooden Halloween garland that I got at Barnyard Days last weekend.




My little flower bed is over flowing with mums. Some of them are four years old, and they come back strong every year. I missed out on cutting them back this past spring because I was recovering from my surgery, so they are bigger than I like for them to get. I didn't have the heart to cut them back once they were all full of buds, so as a result I have giant mums! :) They haven't all bloomed yet, but it won't be long.



Huge mum bushes didn't stop me from planting a few new things this year, kale and pansies, and a perennial that I can't remember the name of.



I put out a couple of skeletons and tombstones out in the beds, I think they look kinda funny.




I also planted a new color this year too, this burnt orange color will mix well with the yellow and red mums.





The new mums helped in hiding how leggy the older mums had gotten too.




I don't have a huge entry, but on the left side, I've hung an old crib spring and then layered little fall goodies, stuff I've had for years.







Another look at the wreath, I found that ribbon at Michael's last year, but they didn't have anything that cute this year.




I still have lights and spiderwebs to add, but we are getting there!!


Thanks for stopping by! I hope your are inspired!
Visit thecsiproject.com

Joining Sarah







Need a design boost? For advice and guidance on style, contact me!

22 comments:

  1. So cute! I just love how you out-lined the door panels with chalk! Thanks for sharing how you got such a great look. I saw your post over at "Thrifty Decor Chick".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this door, just adorable! And love that cat Garland too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That door is inspired! I imagine people everywhere will be pinning that image to their boards. :)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this a lot, Michelle! It is just the right amount of decoration to me. I didn't get any mums this year, although I'm thinking I might pick up a small one for our little out front table. Before we moved my older mums had fallen over after Irene. I, also, forgot to cut them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very inspired! Those skeletons are one of the neatest ideas ever. Oh how I would love to be your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - you have a beautiful place and you have a real eye for decorating. Very inspiring. I love your black door - as you could see by my post I was in a panic about painting mine as well . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wreath is just gorgeous! i love the whimsical look to it, too! Love love love the skeletons and tombstones!

    Happy Fall!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. The skeleton in the garden is adorable and the chalk door - GENIUS!! I think we'll be seeing a lotta chalk doors all over blogland!! How has it held up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the great comments everyone!
    Maya, the front door is recessed and doesn't receive a lot of weather, but overall it has held up great, just as well as any other paint. This is the first time that I've actually put chalk on the door, but it's doing fine so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...the possibilities are endless! over from TDC. I'm forever taping notes to our front door.... I think you just saved my sanity :) the skeletons made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! your wreath is so cute. I love love the cat faces. Also the skeleton in the flower bed is way cute! Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle,
    I love your front door and all of the other fun things you have tucked into your flower beds. I am a regular reader of your blog so, when I saw you came by mine I was surprised and delighted! Your very talented! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it, love the chalkboard door and the wreath!!! You do beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. those decorations are amazing! so inventive :)

    www.designreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The chalk on the front door is awesome! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm thinking your front door is pure genius! If we didn't have an all glass front door I'd be copying you right away!

    Love it!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really beautiful landscaping and I love the half buried skelly (:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your decorations. Great job on the wreath. I like the vintage cats.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I featured your project on Blissful and Domestic today. Stop by and check it out:>



    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chaulkboard paint for the door... a very creative touch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your door! how you wrote Trick or Treat on it! What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle