Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tiered Jewelry Stand {DIY}


Was it just me, or did your heart skip a beat when you saw Layla's Valentine cupcake stand? Talk about cute!! This project really hit home with me, and I was really inspired. How cupcakes translated to jewelry, I'll never know, but I got to work.
I literally had everything on hand including the E6000, which is just the best adhesive for this type of project. What else will you need to complete this project?? Patience. And a lot of it. This is not done quickly.



I played around with a lot of different configurations....I raided my milk glass collection and I have one in the works for the kitchen and even a bird feeder, so stay tuned for those. As soon as they are completely done, I'll show you. Anyway, I knew I wanted something for jewelry to go along with the Necklace Hanger I previously made (take a look at it HERE).
After I found the right configuration and scale/proportion, I started from the bottom and glued up. I only glued a section at a time, let it dry and then move on to the next part. This way everything stays level (which I recommend using). It ended up being 16" tall.


As per the directions on the tube of E6000, apply the glue to both surfaces and wait a couple of minutes before sticking together. I think that is the real trick here.


The metal and glass bonded together very well.


In Layla's project, she used lamp parts, which is genius, and that's what I used for the base. I had an old milk glass lamp in the garage and it came apart beautifully.
I think that is why I'm doing more than one project....so I can use up all the lamp parts. The brass candle holders are vintage....well everything is vintage except for the little ceramic bird. I decided to use that for the 'finial' on top. He can hold necklaces around his neck and plus, he never stayed up straight anyway, so I glued his butt to the top. He won't be rolling around now! :)


I really love how it turned out and it's got a real vintage flavor, which is what I was after



A big thank you to Layla for the inspiration! Check out all of the cute Valentine's Day ideas (and more) at the Lettered Cottage.



Need a design boost? For advice and guidance on style, contact me!

18 comments:

  1. How cute! I especially love the bird on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love this! I actually have a tiered dish around here somewhere. (Or does it belong to my mom... I never can remember) I love the idea of using it for jewelry, and I love the way you can MAKE one if you need to.

    I'm so very much pinning this .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew you could do this! What a great project! It looks so pretty with the glass, milk glass and gold accents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bird figurine on the top is the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How so very fun and creative! Love it!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! I've got two candlesticks that would perfect for a project like this. Thanks for inspiring me:).

    Kim www.plumberrypie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How clever! Great post. Thanks ever som much for sharing. I will follow on my way out because I am sure I will enjoy engaging and supporting your special place now I have found you. I hope you will find a little time to come visit me soon. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful! The glass, brass, and ceramic all look so great together. I found you on Pinterest and I am excited to take a look around your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im going to try this out today going to go to goodwill to get the parts

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! It's beautiful and completely unique!
    -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, for my jewelry, I need boxes, I have so many bling, nothing expensive though. This is a really cool DIY.

    You have a really cool blog here. Do you want to follow each other, I would love that.
    Tereza
    http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this. A lot! This would be a great project to set on by my master bedroom sink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. been checking out your blog as often as possible. you are so talented.great ideas wonderful pics.love the praise you give other for their work. you are the best love klair

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fantastic! I have some vintage dishes from my grandmother that I want to display but just don't know where. This is perfect! Would love it if you came by and linked up to my Manic Monday Linky Party!
    -Melissa
    http://serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a precious stuff and how I love it. This is simple wonderful. Good job. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so lovely! Saw your post on Pinterest, would love if if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle