Monday, March 26, 2012

Hand Painted Coffee Table



Well, before we get to the coffee table, I have to show you these two chairs that I recently scored. No, they are not matching (which is ok) and now I am faced with the decision a.) whether to paint or not and b.) fabric choices. Even more thoughts....fabric paint for the one on the left and I wonder what a bleach and water mixture would do to the one on the right.....although I really don't mind the navy fabric on it and it's in excellent condition...who knows what I'll do....any way you are here to see a painted coffee table right?



We have had this coffee table since before we got married (yikes!) and it was used then...the stamped date underneath is circa 1983....needless to say, she's not a precious antique...so through all these years of abuse from a house of boys....her age was beginning to show.




But the shape is fantastic, I've always adored the legs, but you can really see how bad the top is in this first picture...
chips, dents, dings, water marks...you know the story...
boys.




Keegan hauled it outside for me and set it up on my 'painting pallet'. I sprayed the entire piece glossy black. It is not a great departure from the dark walnut, but really cleaned up the finish



Once the table was completely dry, I broke out the gold leaf pen and hand painted some leaves around the perimeter. Gold leaf pens are really great to work with, great control, so I was able to finish the design in under 30 minutes.



I worked 'backwards' so I wouldn't smudge my work, although it dries fairly quickly.



The pattern added just enough to the top of the table to keep it from being just another piece of black furniture. I also added gold to the 'knuckles' (for lack of better word) of the legs...you'll see a better picture below, again bringing a little more detail in.




Once the the gold leaf was nice and dry, I put on a coat of poly and let it cure a couple of days.




Better picture of the legs:


I moved it back into her regular spot in front of the sofa.....


...we'll see how many more years we can get out of her!





I styled her up pretty neutral (there is a lot of color going on in the living room as it is!) but I love the air of formality she's got now.




Now what to do with those chairs.......:)




26 comments:

  1. What a fabulous transformation! AND.....I love those eggs! How did you get them to look like that?!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very talented. I think all you need is fabric for the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle: The table turned out beautiful. You must have a very steady hand. What do you think about painting the chairs black with turquoise upholstery to match your accessories. I think it would look good but you are the expert and whatever you choose will look great..Happy Monday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job on the table! I have that same chair. Of course, I painted it white:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Gorgeous. You did such a fantastic job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle: You'll think of something fabulous for those chairs! Your table is just wonderful! Wish I had a tenth of your talent!!! Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, Michelle! I absolutely LOVE this transformation! Gorgeous! Wish you could come over to my house and "play" :)! Those chairs are going to be fantastic too! Can't wait to see what you do. Hope you are feeling well!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, PS, I finally found my before and after pix of my painted oak kitchen cabinets I mentioned in my comments about your painted kitchen cabinets. Hope you'll stop by to check it out.
    www.plumberrypie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy smokes :) I love your table it looks really nice. I hope you're feeling fine I think of you often....sending you healing and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a wonderful job on your coffee table! It looks very high end!!! Really, just LOVE it!
    I hope you are feeling ok. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the table as I always love everything you come up with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The table is fabulous! Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! What a great way to dress up plain black, I never would have thought to do that. It looks like it belongs in a designer gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE This Michelle! Gorgeous and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! and Wow! this is beautiful...you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your table is gorgeous! What a wonderful job you've done. It looks so pretty in your home.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. When you get tired of her...just call me and I'll come pick her up! ;-)

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! This is heirloom quality spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a marvelous job! Your hand painting is flawless and so professional. I agree with Judy, I think turquoise fabric on your chairs would look great. I hope you are feeling well.
    Sheila S.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your table looks incredible! I love how you added the gold leaf design to the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Michelle, I have the match to your chair with the orange pillow!!!! My chair needs some cane work and new fabric too. I keep hanging on to it, hoping to get the gumption to tackle the caning on my own. Can't wait to see what you do to your. BTW -- LOVED the table!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful makeover. I know you will so something fabulous with the chairs and I can't wait. Its good to see you posting and I hope you're doing ok. I have you on my mind often and keep you in my prayers. hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a FABULOUS job on your table! It is so pretty! In my mind's eye, those chairs would be painted white, with pale blue upholstery(silk or velvet would be yummy)...if they don't go with your doer you could sell them easily! I've been checking for a post from you daily. Praying that you're tolerating the chemo without side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous!! And I think the chairs would be great painted black with turquoise for the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle