Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Thanksgiving Tablescape

It's November, and we are so close to Thanksgiving, so a tablescape is definitely in order. This table is comprised of vintage, new and reinvented, which is always my favorite.
This is a lovely lantern I picked up at Hobby Lobby, it is metal and I really like the glass panels with the Tudor characteristic, very charming. Inside, I put 2 flameless candles inside along with moss and a little white pumpkin.

A couple of vintage turkey finds that I spray painted white. Take a look at the before below.
Pretty cheesy, right?
No more cheese! ;) Use moss to help steady wobbly candles.
A turkey container, that wasn't too bad, yet just not my thing...
...turned into my thing with glossy spray paint. I thought I was going to make a little arrangement in it, but decided to use more moss and a pumpkin and keep the focus on the gobbler.
These place mats were my Mom's...gosh, they have to be 50+ years old, I remember them being on the dining room table growing up (you know, a few years back). They are really neat...woven, fringed and reversible. Some of the flourishes appear black in the photos (at least on my monitor), but it is a really deep hunter green.
Plain white Gibson dishes....I bought these to go in my booth but couldn't resist doing a table with them first.
My turkey friends again.

The napkins are new from Target from the 'Threshold' Line. I think the new plaid and old damask looks fantastic together. For place card holders, I used a small pine cone and cut a leaf shape from book paper and hand wrote names.
I hope this gives you some ideas you can use on your table!


***
I had chemo on Monday and it wasn't too bad and ONLY ONE DAY!!! I won't have it again for 21 days! I did go to sleep immediately after I got home, but still no nausea and vomiting (knock on wood). The neuropathy is still pretty bad in my hands (which is why this is short and sweet)...the doctor is hoping that it will fade with a little more time and I need to keep taking the neurontin. Thank you for the emails and suggestions on coping with the condition, you guys never cease to amaze me with your helpfulness.
I am working on getting my booth ready for Christmas so be looking forward to seeing that. Because of chemo, I wasn't able to 'shop' as much this summer, so I haven't found a ton of Christmas....so I've been making things. Hopefully, people will enjoy the handmade aspect along with the vintage things, I know I do. 
I hope to do at least one more tablescape outside before the leaves completely drop. I'll talk to you soon! Thanks for being here.
2011-12-013

25 comments:

  1. Thank you soooo much for having such a wonderful page...I just love all of your ideas and your tablescrapes, but mostly I love to hear about your recovery. You are a blessing in so many ways. This web page is by far, my favorite....thank you again for being such an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, thanks for sharing these great ideas. Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are great...the tablescape is beautiful...and you are an inspiration...in more ways than one...just wanted to let you know!!

    Sharon

    Oh...love the moss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tablescape! I love that lantern and the mix of old and new :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty table, Michelle. I love your thought process and it shows up beautifully on your turkeys. I'm going to Hobby Lobby in the next couple of days and I 'm going to look for that lantern. Just beautiful..I'm so thankful that the chemo is going better this time, hope it keeps up. Take care, Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle...as usual you are amazing! Your table setting is just beautiful! Love what you did with the turkey candle holders and your mother's placemats are simply charming. Thank you for sharing!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous thanksgiving tablescape! I love the glossy turkey's. I'll have to keep my eye out for turkey's at the thrift store now that I know how good they can look w/ a makeover!
    Such great news that you haven't had nausea w/ this new tretment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the mix of the place mat pattern with the plaid napkins, great combination. Painting the turkeys white was the perfect choice! Great job,
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tablescape is fabulous! I love the way you mixed it up! I continue to get so many good ideas from you and I'm looking forward to your Christmas version. I'm so glad you're keeping the nausea at bay and praying that the doctor is right about the neuropathy symptoms fading in time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle, I ALWAYS love your tablescapes..they are awesome..I am in awe of all you do while going through chemo ..I am an Oncology nurse so I know what all it involves... God bless you I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful tablescape. I especially love the colour of the napkins under the plain dishes.

    My sister just went through chemo this past summer and the neuropathy was much worse with one of the meds (I think it was the A and C) than the other (the T). Hopefully yours will fade as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such an eye for what will look good together, the vision to see the turkey's potential, the ability to put it all together so everything's always gorgeous! Quite a gift God's given you. I love all your designs. I'm so glad you are tolerating it better this time. It's funny how much we can care about someone we've never met. You are in my prayers and I love reading everything you share. I so respect how fully you live your life and don't let what you have been going through change that. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was so nice to hear from you. I am so glad that the chemo is not making you sick. The table is beautiful. I need to start working on mine I am going to try. I love the white turkeys. I hope you have a nice weekend. It is going to be the last nice weekend this year here. Sending love and prays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and I love the idea of spray painting the turkeys white. Glad to hear you're doing OK with the chemorx. We are keeping you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are amazing and your talent is unbelievable! Just beautiful Michelle. I thought of you the other day when NBC The Today Show advertised about a homemade Thanksgiving center piece. I guess they are having a contest on the best centerpieces. You instantly came to my mind.

    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47556374/ns/today-good_news/t/today-seeking-best-comedian-america#.UJ0JoOTAd8E

    Continually praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just said...not fair where did she find the white turkeys...then the sunken feeling to my stomach...I gave to Goodwill two brown turkeys in April...I never know what I can do with old stuff...great post!! so happy to hear that your chemo was not as hard on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your ideas, Michelle! Great job, as usual. Take care we are all rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the white turkeys! How many times have I passed something over, not realizing how great it would look spray painted? You're always inspiring, Michelle! Glad to hear you're doing so much better :)
    xo, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the entire table! And thank you for the many ideas we all use. I'm going to get my bright green moss out right now as I like that touch with the candles. Blessings, Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep, there won't be a turkey at the dollar store if folks see this! I would never have thought to do that. This Thanksgiving, I have the honor of hosting T-day dinner for my boyfriend's daughter and her husband, along with my son, at my home. I'm starting to panic about how I'm going to decorate (you know I want things to be perfect), but money is extremely tight this year. Thanks for the inspiration on some low cost ways to have a pretty tablesetting (i.e. the pine cone/paper name tags)...off to the dollar store and the woods I go this weekend.

    Hope yours is blessed girly girl.

    Gloria in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hosting my sister's family and am grateful the inspiration! Praying for the nueropathy subside.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sister, I hope all the wonderful things people are saying about your work is giving you great confidence . Also that they notice how much you accomplish while going through chemo. As far as Mom's place mat, she bought them when we lived in Italy 1978 she just loved them. It so nice to see you using them, brings back so many memories .I would like it if you would do a blog on spray painting . You have it down to an art, need tips on how to make my things turn out as good as yours. The table is so great but the lantern is beautiful with added touch. love you always klair

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this tablescape. I have featured it on my Weekly Rays of Sunshine: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/weekly-rays-of-sunshine-3/

    Great work! TWC

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am loving the plaid napkins! Very pretty tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are very amazing and inspirational. I love how you painted the turkeys. I hope I can remember to do that when I see something that needs a little change. Everything is put together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle