Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pottery Barn Lamp


I think I have a problem. I love lamps. Not just lamps, but anything in the lighting realm. Lamps/chandeliers/pendants are right up there with shoes/scarfs/purses {etc.} for me....

The other problem is; I don't like to spend a lot of money on them. So when I'm out thrifting, I always look at lamps. So when I spy a guy like this...he usually comes home with me. I really liked the shape of this guy. The shape:yes, the brass: no. {Sorry brass lovers !} I know that this can easily be altered with a little spray paint. or. something.


Look at the pearl detail around it! Nice!Whilst contemplating what finish I would do, I came across this picture! I nearly crapped my pants!!!


I can do that!! See!?!:I had just perfected the technique for the ball finial and I could do the same thing on the ugly {sorry} brass lamp!!! I was elated!! That's a little dramatic, but I was really, really happy...


I got to work!


NOTE: Please take my advice and use metal primer (especially you, Connie) when working with metal. It will provide a nice tooth for any technique you plan to do. Here is what I use:





My new found love lamp didn't come with a shade, which is probably a good thing....but I saw that Walmart is carrying some fairly decent looking shades. I was really glad too because the drum shades I had researched on the web were running an upwards of 30$ and my lamp budget is pretty thin, I mean I had to fork out 8 bucks for the lamp already, there was no room for a 30$ shade, I might as well buy the lamp at Pottery Barn! It's ok, crisis's averted: This lovely drum shade was just under 15$.


I love the name of the color: Fresh Ivory. It's got a nice glow when it's on too.



This project didn't take me long, but I didn't do it all at once. I squeezed working on it between life, if you know what I mean. I am very pleased with the results!







The Before and After



Even though it's still freezing cold, spring colors have been creeping out all around {the house, that is}...Spring will be here soon!



No brass lamp is safe from me...


If you would like to read about this lamp re-do click here


On deck next, I found the twins just today! They are for my bedroom...I've got to think about how I want them!! The shape is outstanding! Stay tuned!

Yhanks for stopping by! I hope you're inspired!

Visit thecsiproject.com





41 comments:

  1. Great transformation! You gave it such style! All of the lamps have beautiful shapes! I will be looking at brass lamps with a new eye.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do love what you did with the lamp. I have been looking all over for a white lamp and they are way more than my budget. Maybe I can find something and redo it. Your lamps are just gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project, how did you achieve this highly textured look? I'm loving the hint of metal peeking through : ) great job as always...
    This is right up my alley, I love to paint EvEryThInG : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you posted this project! I just bought a clear glass lamp for $3.50 that has a really great shape but an awful, brass bottom. You've inspired me! I also picked up an owl-shaped pendant that will look great after a coat of paint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear how you did this... I'd love to give it a try on an old lamp!! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This lamp transformation is fantastic! I hope you will consider a tutorial on how you created the finish! Thanks for inspiring all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those Pottery Barn lamps (especially the floor lamp that matches the one pictured in this post). I'm now going to hunt through your archives to see if you taught us how to create that finish!!

    Awesome job. The lamp looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome make over on the lamp. I love it. Can't wait to see the other ones done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle! Oh, you're good! Your lamp looks fantastic! You did such an excellent job and the shade looks great!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a lamp thing too...and I love this one!
    Great job.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep thinking I am going to do this. You have inspired me to go to Salvation Army this week to pick up a "new" lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Please tell us how you did this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY!!!! I am in love! Please don't tell my husband. He may be jealous about my new crush!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle,
    I love the new lamp! Can't wait to see how you did it!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! So perfect. And the two new ones! Can't wait to see those!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! I'm following so that I don't miss the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am right there with you on the lamp/lighting issue. Trust me it is an issue in our house. My hubby tells our guest they have to take a lamp before than can go home. You did the perfect job for your lamp, now it it YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see these brass lamps all the time and just pass by them. Now I will be looking for one to do this transformation on. Please let us know how you did the texture. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome job! You go girl with your lamps. Thanks for inspiring us. I'm looking forward to that tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It turned out beautiful! Now I'll be looking around the house for lamps that I can paint! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh sweet love, that lamp looks gorgeous! Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brass can be nice in the right setting, but I love transforming it into something special!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! What a change, I love it. I remember when Brass what the thing. All of my lamps were brass...they have all gone to other homes via garage sales now.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  24. okay...I need to know...You only used that primer and got that result? I love it! Yay! Great job! I wanted to invite you over to my blog...Screaming Meme's...It is a decorating blog... www.thescreamingmeme.blogspot.com and I have a comical blog about a "normal" family going GLUTEN FREE...lol www.thisfamliysgonecrackers.blogspot.com I hope you will stop in...Thanks, Screaming Meme

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love lamps too, but creating shades with that WOW factor is a speciality. I have two covered with tulle and vintage millinery, and another pair with torn fabric ruffles around the top and bottom. You can see them on my blog.... enjoy!

    PS - You lamp is really, really nice. I have shiny metal too...

    Blessings ~ Eileen @ Star's Fault

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, this looks fabulous!!! I L.O.V.E. it!!! It looks so good, and fresh (somehow). It lightens up the place even without being lit.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your lamp turned out beautifully! I would never have known it was brass with how lovely it is now!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks so great! Can't wait to see what you do with the next two!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love, love, LOVE this! WOW! I'm staying tuned for the tutorial!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  30. great job! I bought the same shade in black for a $2 lamp I am in the process of painting (also a PB knockoff) that I will be posting pictures of as soon as it is done! Mine is an ugly wood lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can't wait for the tute.....Love that lamp....great job. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! This is GREAT! You have me eyeballing a lamp I've long loathed and wondering if I could do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing transformation, the lamp looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow! it's beautiful! You did a great job.
    gail
    stopping by from CSI

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the lamp re-do....totally want to do it myself....did you ever post the "how to"??

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this, BTW saw another persons blog and they copied you. I did a double take!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle