Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Change of Color

Inspired by Turquoise!
Decisions, decisions....





When I come up with ideas like this, I get a little nervous. Painting a perfectly good home accessory is serious commitment...I sometimes have issues with commitment....I mean I like the red. It's really cute in red. It will look really cute hanging in my kitchen with 4 cute mugs hanging on the pegs...the thing is: I want to see it turquoise.



what's the worst that can happen?


I bought this cute "fresh" sign at Michael's on clearance...I think it was under $3.oo.

I gave it two coats of Krylon's Blue Ocean Breeze in gloss. Can I just say how much I love the spray paint from Krylon...from the smooth flawless finish to the ease of use spray trigger...it's a really great product.








There's no going back now!





These are the colors that are predominate in our kitchen...I love all the shades of blue with the green and grey...I think this is a good commitment!



What I liked about the original sign is the distressed finish. I decided to recreate the black distressing over the blue

The process was quite easy. Using black acrylic craft paint, I hand painted all the nooks and worm holes.

Moving quickly, I washed the entire sign in black wiping it back down with a damp towel.


The pegs had great texture, painting on the black...







Wiping it off to reveal the detail




Around the letters I used a very fine brush and carefully painted around the outer edge. This was the only time consuming part of the project


I am really happy with the final result! I love my crate and barrel mugs hanging on it!


As far as projects go, this is really simple. Just a new paint job really.


I hope you're inspired !


Be sure to visit Donna and Melissa

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


29 comments:

  1. GREAT makeover. Great color choice and great place to display your coffee mugs! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definetly prefer the blue over the red. Great decision! And I am super inspired now to do something...anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!The black wash & accents really make it. The rack looks a 100 times better - & it looked good to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those small bowls that show your inspiration colors! Your paint job is "fresh" and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just adorable! I paint for a living... but have not seen that color of spraypaint!!!!! And I love turquoise! I gotta look for it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used that same paint on a stool and glazed it with satin. I love the result, and I love your result, too! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so cute with the mugs hanging from it! I love the color choice and the touch of black distressing looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new color and the distressing. It looks great with the mugs hanging from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Your redo made a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job. It really looks fantastic.

    And turquoise is the color of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love love it! Turquoise has long been one of my favorite colors in life in general... Water, decor, clothing, jewelry. It's the color that always catches my eye when I walk into any store.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE. That looks perfect in its new paint treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it in the turquoise. I don't know that I could keep my hand steady enough to edge those letters like that. I always run into trouble with things that require those tiny little brushs. I would try this though, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Considering that red and blue are my two most favorite decorating colors I think it looks even better in blue. I think the outlining really made it fabulous. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. From one Turquoise-infatuated girl to another ... Great transformation! I love how you took the time to really get all the details right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it in blue. Your kitchen colours are yummy! Lots of blues, turquoise and greens here too. I also have the Krylon in Blue Ocean Breeze. It is a great spray paint and you are right that it is easy to use. The adjustable angle nozzle comes in really handy. I'm dreamy of warmer snow-less weather so I can get started on my 'spray paint' list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soooo darling! I love those cups! Wherever did you find them? Love the hand stamped look.

    The turquoise is indeed a fresh colour. You've nailed it!

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    FJ Donna
    http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! First of all, what a great find on the sign and on clearance at that! I love the color you painted it ~ the turquoise even on its own looked great. Love the aging you gave it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun and pretty! The turquoise look great and I love the mugs you have on the rack.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I meant to say "IT" turned out great! Not "I" turned out great! Ha! Anyway, that's my favorite color of spray paint and IT looks beautiful! ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely love this!! Mind you, I am biased since I do not care for red. But I think it looks gorgeous in turquoise! I want one ( and a set of those mugs) for my kitchen immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love what you did. But I have to ask - where did you get those mugs - I am a bit of a caffeine addict and LOVE coffee mugs!

    Barbara@hodge:podge

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the color and your mugs are too cute! Where did you find them?!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. this turned out so, so good. I love the color and i love how it goes in your kitchen. very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE IT and the MUGS! Where did you get them?!?! So many of us have asked! Come on girl, spill the beans!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle