Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Easy Artwork

It never ceases to amaze me what you can do with a little spray paint and a designers eye. Let's be real here, if I had butt loads of money to spend on an amazing art collection and real investment pieces, I would. But I don't. So let's make do and mend (as Grandma would say)! Thrift stores are a fantastic source for frames, time and time again, I buy them, usually for ten dollars or less, and give them a face lift. I love the more plain streamline type, cause that's my style, and I found a great square frame for three dollars (oh, and that little ginger jar too, that I painted white and nestled next to his big brother on the mantle)

Here he is:
(Leaf photograph by my talented friend Judy)




I even spray painted the matting, it is a perfectly good mat after all, a little spray paint didn't hurt it a bit!


I found this beaut in a thrift store in Bella Vista, Arkansas, for seven dollars, I really love the bamboo look, the gold not so much. I think it can swing more coastal-mod than oriental, with a little paint.

I primed and painted them glossy white, cleaned the glass, and added some graphic scrapbook paper. Yep, just that easy. I am already thinking about Fall, Shhhh...don't tell anyone, so I am s l o w l y transitioning already! Even though the paper doesn't scream fall, I think the tones certainly suggest it.
I love how they turned out, and piggy backed them above my black and white chest. Of course when I tire of the paper or find something different, it's easy to change.


Thanks for stopping by! I hope you're inspired to peruse your local thrift, or even shape up some frames you already have. Spray paint is your friend! :)



giveaways

linkparty


20 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and having fun catching some of your past posts.
    Great job with your frames, what a lovely vignette.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a creative eye. I love the way your repurpose things. Your frames and the jar are all just beautiful. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bamboo frames are very pretty.

    :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to go into my stash of stuff that Ive taken down and put away. I bet I could come out of there with a whole line of accessories. I usually spray paint everything...but Ive never used it on indoor accessories. Thanks for sharing and inspiring. - Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is genius! Last night I stopped at a thrift store to look for a serving tray like the one you did previously... and they had two, but they weren't quite what I was looking for plus I wasn't going to pay 10 dollars for a tray at GW! I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are sooo good! Scrapbook is cheap, pretty, and changeable. What's not to like?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog after reading about your mantel on A2Z. I am so glad I found you. I spent some time reading your back posts and am inspired to try some of your ideas. I actually do have ONE blank wall at the moment and I think plates will be displayed soon!!

    I had to respond to your touching post in response to the mean spirited anonymous comment you received a few weeks ago. I won't remain anonymous because you and some many other wonderful bloggers have helped me re-gain my creative urges.

    I was diagnosed with severe depression/panic disorder/agoraphobia about a year ago. I stopped being creative.........I didn't pick up a paint brush, sander or spray paint for many months. Since I have been spending a lot of time at home, I searched for decorating/creative blogs and then found more and more and more. Slowly, but surely I found my creative thoughts surfacing again. Thanks to you and many others like you, I am painting again, moving furniture around, creating again............thank you and all the others like you. You've helped pull me from the deep well of depression and fear into the bright light of creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle-I love the idea of using the paper as art...so simple, and so many choices! I'm starting to use spray paint more and more these days, thanks to blogging.

    The comment ahead of mine really touched me. I understand panic disorder very well and I love seeing that you have helped someone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty!! I love the paper you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I love paint! I've painted a lot of things...but never thought of painting a picture matte! Thanks for the idea!

    I love your style and your frugal nature...so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think theres a stop to my local thrift shop in my near future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scrapbook paper! What a GREAT idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought almost that exact same frame with the circular mat and all at our Goodwill and turned it into a shadow box. Love the scrapbook paper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've thought about painting the pic mattes before but I couldnt bring myself to do it!
    After this...picture mattes here I come!
    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could arrange just about anything (say, a magic marker, a couple of tin cans and a fly swat) and make it look good! Love your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  16. it was the colors that made me click thru from somewhat simple! looks great, and love that you painted the matting, too. i've been hoarding frames to repurpose, too. great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They do look like fall colors... I'm so ready for fall too. Thanks for sharing your fun project at the PoPP... I'll have to try painting some mats.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it. Simple, frugal and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle