Saturday, July 28, 2012

Logan's Map Wall

 It all started with an atlas that I found at a yard sale for a dollar. I've had it for a while thinking that I would use it in some craft or another, but I have been working on Logan's room (read: cleaning, editing, getting ready for when school starts next month, etc.) and one thing lead to another and the atlas came to mind to do a 'feature' wall. In his room there is a small recessed wall that is just over 7 feet, which is perfect to do a project like this.....an obvious beginning and ending which I think is so important in a feature wall. It recesses about two feet and has the door on one side and the closet door on the other:
 The atlas is circa 1984 so I did not have any of that I'm-about-to-tear-up-a-book guilt
 First things first, I painted the door casing white (I still have to do the baseboards)...trying to do that after the maps, or later would have been a pain.  I used regular wallpaper paste (bought at Walmart for around 5 bucks) and a chipboard brush. I started randomly on the edge and started going out from there...
 I kept going with the random look, making sure to mix large states (two page spreads) and small states (one page spread)
 A few tricks that I learned along the way...because this is not a normal 'wallpaper' application.....1) pasting the back of each paper resulted in a smoother finish (vs. pasting the wall). 2) A dry towel works great to smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles. 3) Don't be afraid to get messy. This is a messy project and when I embraced that, it went a lot faster...

 It took me about 4 hours to do, but I had to take a lot of breaks (chemo was last week)...I primed the door to get it ready for chalkboard paint and let everything dry over night.
 By the next day, the map wall was sheer perfection. I couldn't believe how well it adhered...it turned out better than I thought. I painted the door with three coats of chalkboard paint and let that dry....it dries super quick.
 I did make sure some of my favorite states are prominent....Missouri, North Carolina, Colorado, Oregon, Florida....places we've been and lived or want to visit. I think it would be fun to get pins and mark all the towns we want to travel to....but Logan is only six and I could see that getting a little dangerous! :) Maybe when he is a little older!

 I even covered the light switch plate in map, which was really easy to do.
 I seasoned the chalkboard and wrote a fun quote....Logan will definitely love this, he already loves the one in the kitchen.
 I really love how it turned out and most importantly, Logan loves it. Not too bad for a project under six dollars and a little labor. I've been doing some other projects around his room...a new (to us) dresser, a twin spindle bed that was a curb-side find and a new rug....can't wait to show you!

22 comments:

  1. That is perfect! I love the maps! Not only does it look great, but there is learning involved too! Sorry... it is the teacher in me! So glad to see that you are going at it. You have been in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The map wall and door look fantastic! I love maps and this will give Logan cause to dream about traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! What if you decopauged pictures of your visits to these states on to small wood plaques and added these over the states. I love the idea of the peb but yea, all your hard work and efforts may get a little inky. LOL I know you only have maybe one more treatment right? Maybe two. I have been praying for you girl xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so flippin cute! Great arrangement of the maps too!! That attention to detail definitely makes it! Nice work! Great blog! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so creative it blows my mind. i love it and the stack of suitcaes next to it is perfection!!

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful! What a perfect wall for the project... and the chalkboard door is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great Michelle...very much like the one from Pottery Barn but of course much, much less, and I love the chalkboard closet door! My daughter wants to do something similar to her 8 year old son's room so I'll have to show this to her.

    Hope you are feeling as well as can be expected, I always look forward to seeing your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That wall looks fantastic. And the chalk board door is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, I love the map wall and the chalkboard door. It all looks so cool! I'm still praying about your chemo treatments and that you will be healed completely very soon. ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're amazing did you know that! Just off chemo?! wowee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always glad to see a post from you. It shows your strength and a fabulous project like this is good for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great wall and brilliant idea to keep your favourite places most visible. You are an inspiration, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGosh, Michelle, that is SO creative! I know he will love his NEW room!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was deeply affected by reading your post yesterday.You touched my heart. I came back today to tell you how much I admire your strength and perseverance.

    Your project is so impressive and very striking. What little boy wouldn't love this room especially the chalkboard door. I know your family are proud of you. I'm seeing lots of things to check out on your sidebar.

    Michelle, you will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this! So unique and fun for your son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the wall and door. You are in my prays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All I can say is wow! This turned out gorgeous! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea and awesome look--and thanks for sharing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW ! You have the best ideas and talent to make it all work. Logan's room turned out fantastic ! ONLY ONE more treatment praying with all my might this will be all you need. love you bunches ! klair

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your post put a smile on my face today! So happy to see that you are fighting through the chemo and still staying creative in the midst of it all. My son is also six - he would love the map wall! What a fantastic idea and it looks so wonderful! My prayers continue for you and your family. God knows the plans He has for you. Many blessings and much love to you,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Logan's room. You did an awesome job with it all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle