Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pottery Barn Inspired Halloween Garland

I know it's early, don't kill me....I did a Halloween project.
I was inspired by the cute garland at Pottery Barn and just had to try my hand at it. I've got a thing for garlands and really enjoy hanging them across my mantle. Since I had chemo last week, I rate this project low on the difficulty level, it's a good project that doesn't take a lot of energy. :) Really though, it's super simple and turned out great.

Here's what you need: Jute Twine, Canvas or Painter's Drop Cloth, Black craft paint (and brushes), Sharpie, Instant coffee (and a casserole dish to put it in) and a sewing machine.
The canvas is about 9"x6" and I ripped it (vs. cutting) to get the rough edges. Rip enough for what you want to spell....I did a 'Happy Halloween' and a 'Give Thanks'. I think it would be fun to do 'Trick or Treat' too. 
On the sewing machine, create a small pocket to feed the twine through....finished size of each pennant is 8"x6"
I hand lettered 'Happy Halloween' in spooky Gothic text using a Sharpie. I'm pretty sure there are other methods out there of lettering, I just feel more comfy doing it by hand. 
Fill in all your letters with black craft paint. I think it looks a little more spooky with the imperfect edges
Get all your letters done and let them dry well
Next, prepare a coffee bath in a casserole dish. Submerge each letter and blot extra liquid off on a towel. I just laid them out on the counter and when I got them all stained, I laid them outside in the sun to dry. The canvas stains beautifully!!
Once they are all dry, feed the twine through, tie loops on the ends, and it's ready to hang! Here is the 'Give Thanks' garland for Thanksgiving. I made this for my MIL since we usually have dinner at her house and it will look great across her mantel. Hopefully she's not reading this. :)
I painted simple lettering for this style
...but the Halloween one is staying with me!
I already can't wait to do a Halloween mantle, but I have resisted cracking out the pumpkins so far....but it won't be long!!! You'll probably notice the lettering is not perfect, but I like the added quirkiness....and I'm nothing if not quirky. Ask anybody.
Spooky!
Hope you are inspired!

2011-12-013

26 comments:

  1. Well, this is just as cute as a bug's ear! And that's my highest level of compliments.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also forgot to say I love your new blog design, the new additions are very striking and pretty.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to chuckle..I saw this on PB's website and said to myself I can make that. Yours looks great, I love the "give thanks" one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely inspired! In fact, I think this one is a keeper for me and something I'd like to tackle soon. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! You amaze me........Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I am dreading Fall this is still a really cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, cute , cute. I wonder if one of those coffee baths would help me in the mornings? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I'm loving the canvas drop cloth so much better than the ubiquitous burlap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I love banners, too. And drop cloths are so underrated! Wish I had your penmanship skills.....perhaps I'll stencil it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    Kathleen
    Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home}
    http://charmbraceletdiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! That's amazing that you can do the lettering by hand! Pinned for future inspiration. Hope your treatments are all going well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Michelle, Very cute and easy too. a winning combination. Think I will give the Thanksgiving one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial, love these banners, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, it came out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool project. All the best with your treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice! I love this idea thanks for sharing Michelle. Seriously can we just enjoy Summer.....you ladies are making me nuts, Fall and Winter will be here soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really cool and I love that you did hand lettering. I like to do some lettering by hand so this might be right up my alley! Now...what should I have mine say...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is adorable! I am planning a craft afternoon this coming fall, and have been thinking of things to make; this might be it! Thanks. I'm pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Project! I think I'll give it a try. Although I don't know you personally, I think and pray for you often. Best of luck with your treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your banners! They turned out super cute. The font reminds me of Harry Potter?! :) I like the coffee stain look so much! I hope your recovering well from chemo. Have a wonderful day! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Last week I made a drop cloth bed skirt and I think I have just enough left over to try this project! Thanks for the inspiration Michelle! You are in my prayers. ~ Deb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Pinning it! And yes I am inspired to give this a try.

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You inspired me! Check it out http://thesolsticesisters.com/2012/09/10/pottery-barn-inspired-halloween-garland/.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This garland is gorgeous.. I love how you stained the fabric to make it more rustic looking. I hope it's okay, I featured your Halloween garland in a Halloween crafts round-up I just finished.. you can see it here:

    http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/Super-Cute-DIY-Project-Ideas-Decorating-for-Halloween

    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a cute project and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE your garland...going to try the GIVE THANKS for Thanksgiving at my house. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out. Hope you're feeling well these days.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle