Sunday, May 17, 2009

Painted Napkins

It's Met Monday again! Thank you to Susan for hosting. Check out all the other metamorphosis at the porch!
http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

I have a "sneak peek" project for this week.

I was in the Maxx and spied these beautiful placemats in the clearance area...4 mats for $7.99 is not bad, but 4 mats for $2.00!?! Yeah!
The blue was a little funny, not quite aqua, not quite gray, but I decided I could find napkins to coordinate somewhere in my excursions...

After some searching, I could not find any napkins that coordinated, nothing was just the right shade or just didn't coordinate at all. I settled for white napkins...white goes with everything!



I really love the pattern and I started looking at it a little closer. It dawned on me that I could reproduce a part of the pattern on the white napkins!





I considered doing the entire pattern, but I decided to do the little corner flourish instead, the entire pattern would be too much, I just wanted to coordinate not match! :) So I drew out a pattern on Kraft paper and cut it out.


I placed the pattern on a corner of the white napkin and used a colored pencil to sketch out the pattern.


I mixed some paint until I felt it was a close match to the placemat...I used light blue, green, gray, even black.

I painted all four corners of all four napkins. It was a little tedious, but it didn't have to be perfect because I wanted the hand-painted, batik look.



Here is the finished napkin, I really like how it turned out! I think it coordinates great! I was excited about how close I got the blues to match...after so many attempts @ finding the perfect napkin- hand-painting was the way to go!

I hope to feature these placemat and napkins on Tablescape Thursday...I can't wait!

I hope you have enjoyed this project and hope it inspires you to paint your own napkins!

Thank you for stopping by

Michelle





12 comments:

  1. Great project and awesome shopper!
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are a crafty one!! Love your bargain hunter side too. The napkins look awesome.

    In regards to your comment on my blog...my daughter was devastated this weekend when her best friend called her chubby:o She is normally the confident social butterfly like your daughter, but that really hurt. Oh the drama and emotional drain of having girls. Sounds like you are doing great...keep it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, this is soooooo clever! It looks amazing! I am so going to store this in my mental files for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY clever and you've got to love those reduced prices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea. Thanks for sharing. Laura @ the mansion

    ReplyDelete
  6. * As a person with a "THING" for/about napkins, I REEEEALLY love your idea here! Coooooool!
    Best, Linda *

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, very clever!

    Christi @ a Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Michelle ! You are all set....looks
    just great !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl! You are good! That is wonderful!
    I cannot believe you got your "mum" dishes at Target! My chargers were so expensive - the only way I ever would've bought them was because they were clearanced and I had a gift cert. But I do love them. They are a tad bit hard to store because they are HUGE and did I mention they about 20 pounds each? lol
    Have a great day! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. The napkins turned out great. I'm getting so much inspiration from all you girls out there in blogland. Can't wait to see the tablescape you create with the placemats & napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great job on the napkins. They turned out fabulous. That was a good idea. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle