Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chocolate Candy Ornament





How would you like to make some chocolate candy? What? You don't cook? Hmmm....don't worry this chocolate candy ornament is easy as pie, or whatever......






First of all, I purchased glass ball ornaments at the end of the season last year, knowing I wanted to make these as gifts for friends and family, this year....but these boxes are so inexpensive anyway....It would be ok to pay full price. :)






Next whip out the glue gun, load that thang up and keep the sticks handy, because this step will take a lot of sticks. Begin by taking the little metal hanger thing out, so you can stick a pencil (eraser side down) into the ornament to keep it steady.



Next, start right along the top and glob on the glue, letting it run, working your way around the entire ornament, until you've got something that looks like this:









I like to do several at a time because really, who doesn't have a zillion yellow no. 2 pencils laying around, when you have school age kids Hu? I use the pencils as a cooling rack and stuck them where ever I can find a place until they cool....the glue looks cloudy when it's cool





Now you are ready to paint. I highly recommend this type of spray paint, because it is a specialty paint, that has the perfect shade of brown...I haven't tried regular spray paint, but this is the perfect chocolate brown.










Now honestly folks, you very well could stop here. It looks really cute, just like this...but I can't leave well enough alone...




So, I use Mod Podge to coat the runny area onlyQuickly sprinkle sugar looking glitter on

And well, you could really leave it looking like this...it looks really cute with a little bit of sugar on top...


But no, not me...I have to keep going...I mean well enough doesn't like to be left alone...
So with little red crafty berries

and crushed PLASTIC peppermint sticks


I decorated the top of the chocolate ornament...I did a random gluing of the berries and candy cane, you can do as much or as little as you want....

Ok, I'm going to leave it alone now! I added a little ribbon string and bow in the cutest check ribbon

Don't pay any attention to the glue strings, I'll get those off...

That's it! Now you have a super cute Chocolate candy ornament to keep or give to friends and family!
Thanks for stopping by!
I hope you're inspired! Try a chocolate candy ornament today!









41 comments:

  1. Great project. Your tutorial was perfect and the ornaments really turned out cute. Thanks for the wonderful idea.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks quick and easy....they are gorgeous!! Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness ~ how cute!! Your tutorial is fabulous and the photos are gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing this idea.
    BTW, I have recently discovered your blog and am totally hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! At first look I thought you had dipped it in chocolate and I wondered how that would be preserved year after year. Wow -- love this!
    - Suzanne
    justanotherhangup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great! I was totally expecting them to be more difficult than they actually are. What a pleasant surprise. Entirely do-able!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look real enough to eat for heaven sakes... Great job!

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea-looks good enough to eat! I found you yesterday through the tour of homes and have been enjoying browsing through your blog. You're photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY! very cute! adorable idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really thought these were actual chocolate - they look so 'chocolately'! Terrific idea and beautiful photos. Happy Holidays! a-my

    ReplyDelete
  10. How clever but now I am hungry. MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is just the cutest homemade ornament I have seen lately! too too cute! Thanks for sharing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle, these are fabulous! Great job. They look SO real.

    I am trying to reach you via email.

    Thanks...

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl! You are just a whiz with a glue gun. Now be honest...how many burns do you have on your fingers and how many curse words did you utter? :-D These are sooo darling. I will have to save this idea for the candy tree I have started for my grandson. Your creativity amazes me. Hope you are well....hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are THE cutest ornaments EVER. I can't wait to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are awesome...so realistic! I'm getting hungry just looking at them. Where did you buy the spray paint?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty and creative! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness. That is so cute and what a clever tutorial. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this ornament. How easy!! They would look perfect on a kitchen tree. Thanks for the step-by-step. One question, where did you get the paint?

    ReplyDelete
  19. love this!! looks so real yummy!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cute!!! Might have to make some for my own tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are fantastic. I also thought they were really chocolate! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found this spray paint at an A.C. Moore in my town- but I had to look through 3 different stores to find this color! I recommend calling first :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These ornaments are great! Made me hungry. Will have to try for myself. Great pics and directions. Would love to see more of your handywork.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, I found this post through "AllFreeChristmasCrafts". Does anybody know if the spray paint & hot glue would work on plastic ball ornaments? I'd like to keep this kid friendly & glass balls are not lol. I'd also like to mail them out to relatives. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi MJerzak, yes it will work on plastic ornaments just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just made a bunch of these!!!! I can't wait to give them to my family & friends. so cute!!!! I did try them one on a plastic but the glue was to hot melted my ornamet. :( Thanks so much for your tutorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely love this. Will be making several for gifts this year. The only thing I would say is...I keep a book of the projects I do. Would love to have had a print option for the project without all of the extras. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will certainly be making some of these. They are so adorable! Thanks for the post. Are those glass candy canes or real ones that you broke up and glued on?

    ReplyDelete
  29. So glad to have found this on Pinterest! Love it! Your pics and instructions are top-notch!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Is a really cute idea. I want to make my family something this year to go with all my hand made chocolates and I think this one is going to be perfect. Thank you for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. i like that. i thought they were really made of chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  32. Soo cute! I'm going to try some of these to sell for next years craft fairs!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My daughter and I LOVE this idea! We are truly chocoholics and can't wait to make these this year. Your tutorial makes it look so simple! Thanks for the great photos. One question: Where did you find the plastic candy canes?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I will be making these soon. Looks so yummy and will add a new look to my Christmas Tree. I can't wait to put them on. However I went to Michael's and Target yesterday and couldn't find the sugar like glitter. Can anyone tell me where I can get it?

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a cute idea. I would never have thought of hanging "chocolate" on the Christmas tree. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle