Saturday, March 27, 2010

Upcycled Easter Basket


Do you upcycle? Yea, me too...I look at everyday items, items that are normally thrown out, and think to me, myself and I : "What can I make out of this?"
Me says, "That is trash, throw it away, you can't keep EVERYTHING!!!".....
Myself says, "But it is the perfect size to do something with, plus, think of the landfills!"
Ok girls, calm down...I am going to do something with it, just watch!

This is a clean empty container....I'll let you go ahead and read what it is....that IS why I take so many daggone pictures after all!....
Ok great! If you want to turn this:

Into this:



Follow along, because "WE" are gonna show you how!
The container really is ideal, it's pretty durable and plastic, it does seem like a waste to throw it away, Myself is smiling....
Rip the paper off and you're ready to start!


Save those lids though!!! I will show you what you're going to do with those in just a couple of days....Myself smiling and nodding...



I created gift tags for our little Easter baskets and although you will not have something identical to upcycle, think about tags from clothing, shoes, linens, etc....those can all be transformed into something of use...this tag was off of a bottle, actually had the ball chain with, and all I did was cover with paper on both sides, punch a new hole and you've got yourself a tag!



This is what you'll need:
Upcycled container, this could be anything, paper, plastic, even a tin can would be cute
Mod Podge
Scrapbook paper (I chose 3 coordinating patterns)
Crepe Paper
Rick-Rack or ribbon
Hard felt
Embellies
Easter Grass
Candy (a lot )


Measure your container and cut scrapbook paper to size.


Slather the container with Mod Podge. Not too much you don't want any bubbles, apply the paper and smooth around with your hands.


Next cut a strip of coordinating paper and put round the top (or bottom, I did both ways)


Apply a coat of Mod Podge over the top and let dry.
Creating the handles I used hard felt, that is the stiff type of felt that is located right next to the regular felt in you craft store, it just comes bigger and the colors are limited...but it is great for this use.
I love Rick-Rack and it comes in great color and sizes, I chose a pink and aqua to coordinate with my paper selection .


Using pinking shears, I cut approx. a half inch or so and glued the rick-rack on. The hard felt is 12'' wide and that worked fine for my container.
I did this in tandem, while waiting for the Mod Podge to dry...



When your container is all dry, it's time to embellish and add the handles. I did not use to many embellies because the paper has a lot going on. I put rick-rack around the seam and a button.


Now to put some foo-foo around the opening...


I used crepe paper and hot glue and created a ruffle just inside of the mouth of the container. After you are all done gluing, fold the crepe paper down, like this:



I cut an additional half inch of felt to cover up the inside, this gave it a nice clean look, and won't interfere with the candy eating



Next, I put the handles on with hot glue




Embellish how you would like! Again, I kept it pretty simple, but you could really go to town! Let your imagination lead you!

Finally, fill with candy almost to the top, add a little Easter grass, and then put some more candy! I love it!

I think Me, Myself, and I are very happy!









I'll be showing you what to do with those lids next, stay tuned!!



Making
The Girl Creative
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




SYS Thurs







18 comments:

  1. This is great! Me, myself and I, sound alot like me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cute baskets, those would hold alot of candy! LOL! Those handles are pretty with all that glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super cute, Michelle, and I love that you upcycled! This would be great for party favors, too! I like the peek at what you did with the lids ~ I'm looking forward to seeing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing idea! I have tons of those containers in my pantry right now. Can't wait to see the project with the lids! I'm totally inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I've been saving those cans to send to school with my son - I'm just not that crafty, but I hate the throw them away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea Michelle! I love the paper and embellishments that you used. They look great!!!

    Thanks for linking it up to my party!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great recycle project. One of these cute little containers for everyone in the family is perfect for Easter.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I buy those same type of drinks & usually just toss the container in the recycle bin, but of course I like your idea much better! How cute for teacher gifts, etc. Thanks so much for linking up to my Easter party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea!

    I'm featuring a necklace tutorial and giveaway. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,
    What a great reuse idea! Or up cycle... love it!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those would be so cute as party favors. Very creative. Now I know what to do with all those drink canisters I've been stashing away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are perfect! I was trying to think of how to do my kid's Easter baskets and this will work perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who wouldn't just love to receive this? It's so adorable! And I love the spring garland too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE them... we think alike!!!
    ox
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why didn't I think of that? We drink the same stuff (well Grape flavored) and I'm always trying to think of something to do with them. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle