Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lucky Garland




Before Easter completely envelopes my creative mind, I wanted to share a couple more St Patty's Day projects with you.



I hung this garland across the front of my hutch using little suction cups, I use a lot of green and white anyway so it really looks at home!





What you'll need:

Chipboard Letters

Cardstock

Crepe Paper

Modge Podge

{Old} Book paper or scrapbook paper

Jute twine

Embellishments



Ok! Let's get started!



I didn't happen to have green chipboard letters on hand, so I painted some blue ones I have. Chipboard takes paint very well. Two coats of leaf green craft paint is perfect.


I chose the word "lucky", but you can chose any word or phrase you like! How about "Erin Go Bragh" (Ireland Forever)? That would be fun!


Cut 3'' circles from card stock in a cream or white color.


Using Mod Podge, cover the circle with scrapbook paper or pages from an old book. Glitter the edges while it's still wet. I use Sulyn's 'Crystal' glitter. It's my fave and use it on almost everything. I have found it at Hobby Lobby and even Walmart.



Now that your chipboard letters are dry, glue them to the middle of the circles.




Using green crepe paper, create a ruffle behind the circle. I used Mod Podge as my adhesive, I just randomly ruffled, it doesn't have to be perfect. If you have uneven ruffles, just trim up with scissors. I love this bright green crepe paper, found at Hobby Lobby.



Cut approximately 1 1/2 yards of jute twine. This is what you will attach your ruffled circles to. I just eye-balled it and glued the jute to the back of each circle. Here's a tip: to keep the garland hanging nicely, glue towards the top of the circle. The circles won't have that spinning effect that sometimes happens.




To clean up the back of the circles and add some additional strength, cut a secondary 3'' circle to glue on the back of each circle. Just to make sure the crepe paper and jute stay nice and tidy.



Now it's time to embellish! Let your imagination go! I used buttons, foil shamrocks, and of course glitter to really doll up the letters. Really this part is up to you interpretation! I cut the foil shamrocks off of the wire garland I had left over from making the St. Patty's Day wreath.


That's it! St. Patty's Day Garland. Check!



I was having so much fun creating my garland, that I decided to put together a scrapbook page while I was at it. Paper crafting and scrap booking go hand in hand, why not!





Thanks for stopping by, I hope you're inspired!


Maybe we'll make one for Easter!!







giveaways





The Lettered Cottage

25 comments:

  1. I love banners and this one is a keeper...great job...very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love the little sparkle around the edge of the circle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I'm sharing this on Twitter and Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your lucky garland better than mine!! You did a fabulous job!
    Thanks for sharing!
    {my blog: redberrybarn.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your banner is tooooo cute. I truly enjoyed seeing how you created it. Thanks for sharing what type of glitter you use. I have been looking for it in the stores.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I really enjoyed reading your directions and your banner is wonderful....
    Sandy

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just too darn cute! Thank you so much for the directions. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! Would like to make for work.
    Following you over from Shabby Chic Cottage!
    I am a follower!
    Please stop by!
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! Sure wish I would slow down enough to do a few crafty things.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun, fun, fun! And it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post!!! I also love your blog header!!! I am your newest follower!
    Bonnie
    http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm saving this one, it would work for all holidays and I'm just starting to get all crafty again (and I'm not good at it)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Following you from Funky Junks Saturday Nite Special!
    Come by for a visit!
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is GORGEOUS!! At first glance, I thought the crepe paper was green coffee filters! Love it. May have to adopt this to Easter!! Thanks for sharing!

    Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! I know St. Patty's Day is almost over, but I had to link this on my blog http://sweetsomethingdesign.blogspot.com/2010/03/lucky-garland.html
    I'm a new comer to Sweet Something- LOVE your style. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Michelle,
    I love your style! You always do such a great job. Thanks for joining the party!
    Happy St. Patty's DAy!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michelle....I love this! I thought I loved the leaf one but then I saw this one. lol Of course the fact that its part of my companys name is fabulous. I might have to try it out...Ive been using those materials for my Etsy items. Let's hope I get lucky and it comes out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been looking for some St Patty's inspiration today! I am so glad I found this! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This banner is darling! I LOVE it : )
    craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle