Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Logan's Room: Lil' Cowpoke Armoire

I have been working steadily over the past month on Logan's room and slowly but surely it's been coming together. I will be revealing projects as I complete them, so stick around, you might see something you like! It's so fun doing kids rooms!


As an introduction to the pallet we I selected, here are some of the linens. Most of this (and more) handmade by loving grandmothers, but we will get in to that a little later....

The Color Pallet: Primarily primary (hardy, har, har) Red, Blue, white. With a little black, white and green.

Feature fabrics: Lil' Cowpokes (With all colors mentioned above), blue ticking, denim, and cable knit


First project: Armoire


I purchased this small armoire from the GW back in North Carolina and I remember the day well. I was on the hunt for an armoire to house all the the scrap booking gizmo's and gadgets I had acquired over the years. when I saw it, I bought it. done deal. now. how to get her home.


Back then mom was still with us and I called her because she drove a little Chevy truck. she met me at the GW and in the back it went. we merrily drove it to Parkertown Rd. back then we lived next to one another too...


It has served me well all these years and even made the move to Missouri...Here at this house, Logan's room is where it ended up.





It's a nice size, but not heirloom quality, so I decided to paint it. Typically I automatically think black, but I wanted to do something different and a little more fun and upbeat.

The doors had thin removable panels held in with flimsy plastic thingamabobs, like I said: not an heirloom



Now if you are a professional painter, scroll down a bit, I did not take the door off at all.....yep, I primed it as it stood! I did take the drawers out, if it makes you feel any better, but I was going for some kind of rough, rustic look and painted hinges were working for me!


I primed and painted it white.




WHITE?

What? That's it?



How is this more fun and upbeat?



Hold on to your britches, fun and upbeat is on the way!!


I found these really cute, cast iron drawer pulls with a star at Hobby Lobby and they are just perfection for the Lil' Cowpoke look!


I started thinking about the doors and the removable panels and I wanted to do something different, plus most of the panels were cracked and broken anyway....

I had several thoughts: fabric, chicken wire, just new panels, painted, then it hit me....

Weathered wood.

Not just any weathered wood, this whole section of fence was in the back yard for ages and it was perfect. Free. Weathered wood. This was going to be good I could just feel it!

I measured the space and cut 12 of them. I loved it, it was exactly what I was looking for! I cut them length wise to give more of an impression of shutters, verses doors, so if we ever move back to eastern NC, this piece can go coastal with a change of hardware!!!

I color washed every one of them in the "color pallet" colors and it went so quick and easy!



I used standard acrylic craft paint, and I am so happy with the results




I was going to distress the edges, but decided against it. I want the doors to take center stage and I don't want to over do it. Believe me, being in a four year old's room, distressing will happen anyway!!


Inside, books movies, toys, the usual suspects :)
The two drawers, linens for Logan's bed, etc....


I did leave one of the shelves in the original state, just a reminder of it's former look...is that corny?




I am really super pleased with the results and I can't wait to show you more! I've got some fun projects and vintage finds waiting in the wings! I hope you'll join me!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you're inspired!


Show and Tell Green
SYS Thurs

The Shabby Chic Cottage

Furniture Feature Fridays

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special















54 comments:

  1. Love it so far!! I would love to do a "cowpoke" room for my grandsons, but they are in to race cars so race cars it have will be. I will look forward to your posts as you complete the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is cute! So original. So unique. LOVE IT!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely brilliant!! I can't wait to see the whole room!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, that is fantastic and so original I love it. Are you a designer? You should be. Smiles, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  5. That came out so good, Michelle! I love what you did with the inserts for the doors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable! Great job on being unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    How fun! I love the inserts, free, functional and fabulous! I can imagine the whole room is fantastic with the bedding on top!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative! Love the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle,
    I love what you did with the doors! Genius. It looks fabulous and I can just picture it in the cowpoke's room. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you outdid yourself. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing. The doors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such cute fabric! I love the colors too! The shelf and doors look so cute, and the star handles are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that looks great! Stopped in from BCD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you kidding me??? That is soooo cute. I can't believe how that turned out. I was expecting something good but not that good. I have to follow now to find out how the room turns out.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out great!! What a great way to re-use old furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michelle that is some great work! I love the colors, they are happy!~ Glad you put your own modern twist on an old piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that is fantastic. You have a very creative mind to figure that out. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How smart and cute!! He can use that forever...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Talk about a transformation! This turned out beautifully! I just love Goodwill, don’t you! The fabrics you used in your little ones room are super cute too.

    I’m a new follower and can’t wait to look through you blog to see what I’ve missed.

    Happy Spring to ya!
    “Domestic Princess in Training”

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great makeover! I have seen those cute knobs at HObby Lobby! Love them! Great color choices on here! STop by my painting blog and say hello sometime!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  21. This armoire is so amazing! I love that you were so creative with it too. It is really like nothing else, and it looks fabulous! I would love for you to stop by, I am having a Bring In The Spring Party that starts tonight. Link up any Spring related project.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cute idea. I love all of the things that you did with that. Awesome!

    Thanks for adding me as a friend on facebook too!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! What a beautiful and unique piece of furniture! Your blog and your talent are amazing. So excited to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh you clever gal! It looks AMAZING!! What a fun pattern too for his room! Bravo! xo Molly

    ReplyDelete
  25. This really turned out nice. I love it! I saw a remodeling show one time and the painters actually painted over the hinges so I think you did this just like the professionals :) Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh that is so cute. I love it! Just stopped by from Somewhat Simple. TFS

    Sandra @sawdustandpaperscraps

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic! You did a beautiful job. Can't wait to see the whole room.

    ReplyDelete
  28. absolutely delightful! great choices for the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it! I really like the weathered wood.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute. I totally love the blocks of colour on the armoire and the knobs are fabulous. I need to find those for our home. I love black painted furniture but your armoire has way more interest now.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! So Cute...love how you painted the doors and the colors you used!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my, this is perfect! I love the old barn wood and the colors you chose...love it!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Cute!!! Great thinkin'. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    Have a beautiful weekend!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I found this post at Donna's SNS - what a cute piece of cowpoke furniture!

    I love the rustic worn wooden doors.

    great post

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very creative--loved the weathered wood in colors! Looking forward to seeing more of the room :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Stunningly original! That piece is a STATEMENT. SNS sidebar love for you. :)

    Thanks for linking up!
    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  38. the sneak peek of the linens is so stinking cute. Love the color pallette and the fabrics you chose. Way to go with the creativity on the armoire. It looks fabulous. I love those drawer pulls. Don't you love it when a plan all comes together and under budget? Your little guy is going to love being in his room surounded by all the wonderful things his mom and grandmas made.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Michelle,

    I'm doing my son's room over right now too, and just picked up a piece of crap cupboard for his room from a thrift shop. I've been trying to decide on a wall colour and what colour to paint this cabinet. I love what you've done but sadly my cabinet has solid doors. I can't wait to see your finished room!

    Stacey xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh how awesome! NOT your same ole` same ole` paint job. I LOVE IT!
    ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  41. Michelle-

    I love it! I'm in the process of decorating my new little one's cowboy themed nursery. I can't wait to see your future projects in your little guy's cowboy room. If you get bored, check out my blog to see some of my projects to come. :) http://thesometimessupermom.blogspot.com/2010/03/poor-baby.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. So cute! Great ideas on the armoire. I like his bedding too.

    I hope you'll drop by AtticMag and give JaneT some advice for her headboard to bench project.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  43. Super cute - love it ! I bet your little guy is super happy !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Cute! Love the colors...so perfect for his room. :-) Great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm back again to say...

    Our handyman is not super happy with the fact that I want to use reclaimed wood wherever we can on my home restoration projects. I'm looking forward to showing him pictures of your fantastic armoire!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  46. holy moly. i looooooveeee those colored boards in the doors. genius, i tell you. genius.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh, it's so cute. I love the vintage cowboy looks. The drawers pulls and "barn boards" make this armoire fit in with the theme without going over the top. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Holy Ca-Moly, I totally love what you've done with that armoir!
    Great job!!

    Andy
    www.poppiesatplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I LOVE this!! The colors are striking and your technique with the craft paint is perfect. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  50. LOVED it on JMS, so wanted to take a closer look! Great Job! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle