Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Fall Living Room 2011

With the weather cooling down nicely, I always get that nesting feeling, you know it's kinda like that loving feeling except it's with your house.....anyway I've started the fall festooning and while there are a couple of more projects that I have in mind, I thought I'd show you some changes I've made.....



No matter the time of year, I change specific things to reflect the season and the gallery wall is one of them. I change a couple pictures around, add in the fall trees, and a leaf picture (taken by my good friend Judy). The printer's block art that I made stays and my favorite owl plate looks especially good for fall!



The coffee table gets it's fair share of display too. An apothecary jar full of hydrangea blooms, white ceramic bowl with pine cones, and berries....I robbed the little brass owl out of my bedroom and put him on a decorative rosewood box and plopped a cloche over him. Under that is a salvaged pitch fork and old book. To finish off the look, two taper candle holders.





The mantle is another area that gets gussied up for the season. I stayed symmetrical again like last year, but overall, it's a simplified look. I found a big heavy plaster container that was narrow enough to fit on the mantle and it really dictated what I did.
After deciding to do an arrangement, it needed to stay pretty simple after that....I used candle holders of various sizes with cream and white candles, some black and white pottery and added a dried gourd.





I changed the curtains to a nice plaid, I've had these panels for several years.


I wanted a collected/cornucopia/bounty look for the mantle, using fall leaves, berries, gourds, pine cones, pomegranates, and bittersweet. The branches are real that I saved from spring pruning, which left my husband shaking his head and walking away.
It ended up being pretty big. It looks a little more dense than it is, but the mirror is reflecting all of the branches (which I didn't anticipate, duh), it's really quite airy. It ended up looking fairly formal, which is OK, I'm down with that.
I'm so old school. There is a reason why I got a C in creative writing.





I decided to use the black and white pottery that I found at Hobby Lobby (earlier this year, remember?) to tie back into the black in the mirror.
And have you noticed the increasing amount of brass that you're seeing around here? I don't know why or how, but I'm beginning to sorta kinda like it a teeny tiny bit. Not that fake shiny crappy brassy stuff, but the old real tarnished stuff. And I like it mixed with silver/nickel, I'm feeling fearless on the mixing of metals front.




I've gotten my small collection of camp blankets out, although it's not quite that cold yet. I laid them across the arm of the tufted chair (that is still on the reupholster list)...Daisy (the beagle) didn't mind the extra layers at all. The little folding chair is what Logan likes to sit in.


Pillows change as well (yes, I'm a pillow hound), mostly to brown and a rusty red, the ikat pillow works just fine for fall and I love a bit of blue for fall.






The sofa never looks like this, I just want to bask in the neatness of it for now, right up until any male member of the family arrives. The poofy pillow angels are singing right now, I can hear them (one of them is off key).





I'm standing in the kitchen taking this next picture, I'm working on adding some touches in the kitchen too, but I'll show you that later. *Please note Daisy's bed that she's not in :)





In this shot, I'm standing in the entry, you can see how the front door opens right into the living room. I tried to create a small entry with a sofa table, but it's still not 100% what I want. For now, I laid some chevron fabric over the table and it has helped....I love the rusty color, you can find chevron in nearly every color now.
I'm thinking I might want to make something out of it...maybe. I do like the idea of plaid and chevron though.....



More singing.





I don't mind the driftwood lamp for fall, and added an art glass bowl with tiger lilies in it. I was shopping for hardware for my chain link dresser (which I didn't find) and ended up coming home with these beautiful blue glass knobs for my dresser in the living room...I wasn't even shopping for this dresser, but I love the added detail! Of course know one notices these things but me. :)


SO that is what I've done so far, I hope you can draw some inspiration and get your creative juices flowing!
A couple of things that I want to bring in:
Logs in the firebox instead of candles (I've always loved that stacked log look)
Antlers, if I can sweet talk my FIL out of some ;) I want to hang a mounted set above the round mirror and put some in a bowl some where....
I might go shopping for some different colored taper candles for the mantle, I'm not sure yet.

If you would like to see a ton more pictures (because I don't know when to stop...) please check out my photo stream HERE. This is just an inkling of them....:)



Hooked On Houses




The Lettered Cottage








Need a design boost? For advice and guidance on style, contact me

37 comments:

  1. Another amazingly beautiful and inspirational room!! You have such a gift!
    I think your best accessory though just might be Daisy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks great! Love that you put up plaid curtains and the mantel/flower arrangement is gorgeous! Really like the black/white porcelain. Looks very Z Gallerie/old Bombay Co. Now you've got me wondering if Hob Lob still has them, and if it's worth the drive to find out. ;o) Also like the art bowl w/ tiger lillies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room is just beautiful. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will sound corny, but one of my fave parts of the seasons changing is watching how your mantel changes with the seasons. Always gorgeous.

    Bernadette @b3hd

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just amazing - I love it all! Especially the little beagle pup in the chair :D

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am loving all the autumn changes you've made. Looks so cozy and warm! Would love to have you link up to my Fall 5 series today to showcase your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear it's not just me that has trouble keeping the throw pillows on the couch! My husband asked me why I bother putting them there when I know the kids are going to throw them in the floor! I also want to say that even though my dog also has a bed she prefers to sleep on the couch on one of said throw pillows! Love the look of the room though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the living room updates for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up!! Still not over how simply gorgeous this space is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so cozy and warm is right! It really looks so inviting. I love how you have a photo stream of more pictures! Too funny. I too have spruced up for fall, but I don't like any of my pictures, so I haven't posted them. I like how you captured the warmth in your photos, that is a talent. Once again Michelle, you are so inspiring! I never get tired of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - this room is so beautiful...and looks so cozy and absolutely perfect for Fall!! I want to snuggle up by the fire with the plaid blankets and drink pumpkin spice lattes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the changes you made for fall! It is so cozy and warm with the fall colors popping against the soft neutrals.

    I definitely could spend the day curled up reading in your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say that I really like your mantel and detail up to the ceiling. that is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your living room is so beautiful! I love how bright it is while still looking fall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely fall living room! my beagle named daisy is sleeping - snoring - at my feet! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It look extremely cozy! I like what you've done! Thanks for checking out my blog, yours is great! xo hope your weekend is well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am loving the piece over the mantle. So beautiful. And The puppy in the chair just makes the room sparkle! he he!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You mantel is very simple and sophisticated! Nicely done! I love the chevron fabric!!! Nice find for fall! Saw you at the TLC link party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I love how your whole living room just makes nice to each other. Everything is so wonderfully coordinated. And that centerpiece on your mantel is so gorgeous I just had to add it to my inspiration file.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It all looks incredible. Beautiful Fall additions!

    ReplyDelete
  21. your room looks lovely and the best part is your sleeping dog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You mantel is lovely as ALWAYS! I enjoy seeing how your recreate it each season!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love all the changes in your living room. And REALLY love that photo of your puppy all snuggly by the fireplace with the plaid throw over the chair - styled to a tee! Well done. And changing our window panels for the season - genius! Liz @ Designing Domesticity

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Michelle-

    I always love to see how you change things up. It all looks wonderful as always. You have such a good eye with mixing and matching.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The fall spice colors scattered around the room, the bountiful fall bouquet on the mantel, and the lovely plaid blankets over the arm chair, won me over.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your room Michelle :) Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just beautiful!! I love the chevron fabric too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your room. Your arrangement on the mantle is amazing! Totally brings the room together. You did a beautiful job.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your living room looks like something out of a magazine--gorgeous! Love the way you hung everything over the sofa, and your mantel is beautiful, too. Thanks for inviting us in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Michelle Everything you have created for Autumn is gorgeous!! I love it all!

    I have hooked up with Julia's Party as well!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow... I love the autumn decor... The centerpiece looks stunning...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a beautiful Fall mantel, Michelle! Love the crispness of it all! Your camp blankets are perfect ... love the chevron fabric, and the driftwood lamp is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I stumbled across your blog this weekend and have looked through just about everything. You completely inspired me to transform my mantle for each season. Michelle, you have a true talent and I look forward to future posts/inspiration ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous fall decor! I happen to notice your living room rug...and I'm totally loving it!! Would you mind sharing te source?

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle