Monday, August 8, 2011

Master Bedroom: It's Coming Along




The fabric that I ordered finally arrived and I completely love it. It was exactly what I wanted and even though it was my second choice (read about my first choice HERE) I'm so thrilled with it. I've ordered some other fabrics too, but they've yet to arrive. I didn't want to order anything else until I was sure I liked the main fabric. So a little more waiting, but I went ahead and made two pillows from my lovely new fabric.





I want to give you a little background on the master bedroom. It was the first room we painted when we moved in seven years ago....


.....and this is why. It was a terrible, terrible shade of lilac that the former homeowners had painted. I refused to do anything in the house until this room got painted. The color was just gross. I wanted to create a cozy and comfy bedroom and really flex my design muscles so I chose a dark brown. Seven years ago, I was on the "blue and brown" train (that I've since gotten off of) and wanted a dramatic wall color accented with blue. Justin and I tackled the project together. I painted the base color; Coffee Bean, Justin doesn't like to paint. To create a little interest, I thought stripes would be just the ticket. Once dry, Justin and I spent about 3.5 hours dry brushing a gold glaze over the coffee bean. The next day, Justin taped off 12 inch stripes and I came back behind him with the coffee bean and created the stripes. Good times. We worked as a team and it was one of the first projects of many to come in our new house.


Fast forward seven years, my taste have shifted, and I was ready for a change (wink, wink). So I started picking out paint colors and bringing chips home for Justin to help me decide on the new paint color. He's (usually) pretty easy going with all my decisions and supports me 100% but when I started talking about painting the bedroom room, he got stubborn! The gall! I couldn't believe he didn't want to paint the bedroom! "It's just paint!" I tell him. He's feeling a little, let's say; attached and nostalgic about "our first project" in the house. So the coffee bean is staying, I decided to play nice and compromise. :) At least it's not this purple anymore!!








So working with the brown walls, I decided to go with black, white and orange palette in addition to brown. I've been using orange in other parts of the house so it was an easy choice for me. I've been trying to pull this room together for months now and I am determined to finish it. I found a great coverlet in 'Tiger Lily' at West Elm on sale and Justin bought it and two euro shams for me for my birthday. It came in and I love how it looks. I went on the hunt for fabric to coordinate, and found a great Schumacher fabric.
After finding out I couldn't afford it, I found this alternative. It was still expensive for me, but I only needed one yard for a couple of accent pillows. It is perfect and had all the colors I needed. I did that a little backwards, I usually like to find the fabric and then the bedding, but I have had things sell out right before my eyes (online) and I didn't want to miss out on the Lexington bedding (it's not easy finding orange bedding! :).


Here it is, isn't it beautiful?



Anyway, I still have a few projects to complete, but I thought I'd show you the progress so far. I'm glad that we've decided to keep the brown, I really like how white looks on brown.




My dressers are old, just to give you an idea....my Dad bought them for me when I first moved out of the house and they were old then. They are totally vintage! ;) I am still deciding whether I want to white wash them or not, we'll see. I didn't use the mirror that was attached to the dresser, I found a big frame at the Goodwill , spray painted it white and had a piece of mirror cut for it. I used my DIY wall shelves under a couple of thrifted frames. Above that a couple of thifted decorative plates. I made myself a shell wreath for above the mirror to complete a very symmetrical look.
I wanted some symmetry over the dresser because I did a gallery wall across from the bed. Pictures of the boys and Justin.... all the frames thrifted and spray painted white. The tall dresser is a project that I am really excited about, you should see what it started from. I named it the Chain Link dresser. I'll be showing you how I did this in the days to come. You might remember the leaf art, it use to hang in the living room. I recently found that little leafy mirror and layered it right over the top of the frame, yes that was intentional. :)





A close up of the pillows and bedding. I just love the honeycomb pattern on the coverlet, it adds a lot of texture.

The lady on the dresser was my Mom's, circa 1963. She was always in my house growing up and now she'll live in mine. :) I've always loved her as a kid and thought she was so exotic looking.





I recently painted my lamps, again. This is a Krylon color called Saddle Tan. This is my first time using this color, but this color is in the fabric and also the curtains, so I tried it out. I'm liking it.





This chair and the desk behind it is on the project list... new upholstery for the chair and a new slipcover for the desk.



So here is what I have left to do:



Buy two more curtain panels


Do different slipcover for desk


Recover and paint chair


Alter some existing art (add colors of fabric)


Get rid of blue stripe around tray ceiling



What I'm still considering:


White washing the two dressers


Changing headboard





DIY Projects you can try out yourself:



DIY Sunburst Mirror



Spray Painted Lamps



Leaf Poster Artwork



Painted Chandy



Wall Shelf out of Curtain Rod Holders



Painted Black and white Dresser


Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you're inspired!




*EDITED*
Here is the link to the fabric that I chose:
Richloom Chandler in Spice















































16 comments:

  1. I LOVE the warm fall tones! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it. Everything is put together so well and it's nice to see a bedroom makeover that isn't all white for once :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's gorgeous! It is so warm and inviting. Every detail is beautiful. The colors are perfect. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the textures and I love the walls with the pops of white and orange. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all...the new fabric is wonderful! I love your style & the choices that you make. It look fantastic now...I can't wait to see it completely finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the colors!
    You are so inspirational!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love the pillow fabric. I bought the same fabric for my dining room curtains and think it's my favorite item in the house. Love what you're doing in your bedroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is looking beautiful, michelle! love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new look of your room! I had to laugh at your description of your"very old" lady statue! 1963 was the year I was born and I certainly don't feel very old! To the younger generation that probably does sound ancient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments!

    LL, I certainly didn't mean to offend! I simply meant old for a home accessory! Forgive me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I love everything, especially the orange coverlet and shams. Where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ericka, the coverlet and shams are from West Elm. It's the Lexington bedding collection. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your bedroom is gorgeous. You pulled everything together very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle. I just cannot get enough of your home. It's simply magnificique! Where did you find the fabric you used for your pillows...it's gorgeous? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much everyone!
    Delia, I added the link to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks a lot Michelle...I was just perusing and remembered I had asked a question a week ago. I really appreciate your prompt response.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle