Monday, April 19, 2010

Black+White=Love



It's a dresser now, but it didn't use to be. It has a long history, I'm guessing mid to late 60's, maybe early 70's. It was my Grandmother's desk at one time. I think it would have looked like this:


Via Design Sponge





I don't know the story, although I wish I did. Why did Sadie Mae cut up her desk!?! The only thing I do know is that she did it herself. I can imagine her with some kind of saw, going to town on it! She was that kinda gal.

I have lugged this thing around with my, ever since she passed away in 1997. I did not ever try to repair it, nor did I now, I like the fact that she left her mark on it. I did, however, think it was time for a paint job, and a bold one at that. I know she likes it.



Here is the before, your standard run-of-the-mill
veneer top, nice clean lines, and I quite like the hardware, they are original.




It has seen better days, and it will again, after I get done with it!



here is the gnarly side, left intact. It's staying. Call me sentimental.



I gave the dresser a good cleaning, and painted it with a standard black and white latex enamel. Cleaned up the hardware.....



I was in L.O.V.E. I mean it.

Talk about being out of my comfort zone, I am walking on the edge of something totally unfamiliar here! I am taking charge of the ho-hum living room I once had and I am shaking it up a bit!!!

Continuing on with adding color to my living room, I spray painted a leaf dish with, can you guess? You got it! Krylon's Ivy leaf. I am not afraid, OK, maybe a little, but there's no turning back now! I was ready to give this back to the Goodwill, which is where I found it, but I'm back in love with it!





Now, I've got to tell you. But not today. This little dresser is holding a lot of secrets. One of which you will have to wait and see...






What else could I have done to this little gem?








Stay tuned!





DIY Day @ ASPTL


The DIY Show Off
Show and Tell Green


Transformation Thursday
SYS Thurs

27 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks great! Can't wait to see what secrets it holds. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowee zowee - what a beautiful transformation!

    This piece reminds me of the bedroom suite my parents bought me 47 years ago. I LOVE what you did w/yours & I'm guessing your grandmother would be thrilled that while you treasure the past, you have gone ahead and have made it your own. Very nicely done...and yes, can't wait to find out about the secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Your finish is like glass! Great job. Did you spray it, brush it, or roll it? Please do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous! I love looking at your pictures. I know I've said that a hundred or so times before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did about 4 coats of primer, then brushed on the latex enamel. The enamel is a great alternative to oil based paint, and gives it a nice finish. I will say it took forever to cure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! Very up-to-date and I like that you left the side the way it was. Hmm, did you line the drawers with something?

    ReplyDelete
  7. shut UP!!! no, really, shut up - this is SUCH an awesome piece i feel the need to shout rude commands into your comment box. those drawer pulls/knobs are insanely awesome. and you did a killer job on this redo. seriously fabulous. ok. i'm done gushing now.
    no, wait. one more time. this is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! And can I just say that I never you knew you could spray paint ANYTHING and EVERYTHING! You have really opened up some possibilities for me! Who knows what I'll find to spray paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh... I like that dresser A LOT! It totally speaks to me and what I would want my house to be decorated like if I had a loft style house... quite contemporary feeling.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its wonderful! And I really love how you put everything together on top....wonderful!
    I will be back to find out the secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this- it turned out wonderfully!
    We have a Friday Fun Finds party (on Fridays, of course)... If you're interested, we'd love it if you'd link up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. VERY cool. Beautiful transformation, and I love your stuff up top--looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor thing was truly an ugly duckling. But you have revived it, girl!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great paint to use!! I need to go back and read more.. hope you posted the kind of paint.. I have a cabinet in the upstairs hall that would be so nice like this!
    Thanks
    Sandy

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT makeover!! The dresser looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that this was your grandmother's. Great transformation, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Lovely project and photos!

    love,kelee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the transformation. It's amazing how paint can make a piece look totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty makeover on a priceless family piece!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    I’m having a GIVEAWAY…come by and check it out…I think you will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did with it. I have a basement room full of family pieces that are just begging for updates...but most are really nice oak and walnut antiques and my husband looks at me as if I'm crazy when I suggest turquoise paint? It could always be stripped off again!

    Love it!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is super cute! I would love for you to come and link up at check me out saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello,
    I found it very nice his work on "the old dresser."

    Oh!, and the decorative details are great.

    I wish you peace.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your eye for color is marvelous, and I have to say it is right up my alley. I adore black & white with vibrant pops of color. :) I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! Can you share where the decorative plate on stand thingy is from? Im drooling over it!
    Sarah
    HandbagsnPigtails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this project! I am featuring it on my site here: http://www.somewhatsimple.com/what-to-do-with-an-old-dresser/
    Thanks for linking the fun inspiration to my link party so long ago!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle