Friday, August 26, 2011

The Chain Link Dresser


Thank you so much for sticking around even with my erratic postings. I am thankful for all of you who read and comment and welcome to those of you who are new. I've got some exciting things happening in my world and I can't wait to share with you. In the mean time, I'm finally getting around to sharing a dresser project for the master bedroom. I'm calling it the Chain Link Dresser.






If you remember the feature that Erin did on a beach house that is out of this world fantastic....well I think I was instantly inspired by this dresser. I loved the circular detail on it, I don't know whether it's painted or papered or what, but I knew I had to try to create something like it for myself.







I found this plain dresser several months ago and it's been sitting in the garage.....finally I knew what I was going to do.






It's a great dresser, taller than average, about 50 inches. I like the simple design of it so I knew that adding the circular detail would elevate it to greatness.






The finish was not in the best condition, some gouges and scratches, but well made. A perfect candidate for extra storage.







I worked on it right in the kitchen area, took off the hardware, and laid it down on it's back.








For the circles I used 12" wreath forms called craft rings. They are made of a composite wood and can be cut and painted for any number of uses. I've used these "craft rings" (from Michael's) for numerous intended things and knew they would work perfectly for this project....the wood strips (to join the circles) are just lattice from the Home Depot that is sold by the foot.

I played around with the circles until I was happy with the configuration. I marked where I needed to cut and cut all the circles and lattice by hand. I admit it was a pain in the butt. I thought for sure that I would have to get Justin to help me, but I just marked with a pencil and used a mitre saw to cut everything. I used liquid nails and glued all the pieces down. Once the glue had dried, I filled in the holes that are on the rings with caulk to make them smooth. I also used the caulk around the rings too to make them seamless and more a part of the dresser.


I primed and painted everything white (I spared you the pictures of that :) I used Martha's Tailors Chalk left over from painting the kitchen cabinets so I didn't have to buy any paint. I toyed around with painting it a color, painting the circles a different color, and vice versa. In the end chose white. When in doubt paint it white. :) I knew it would be against the brown walls and would really pop nicely ( I use a lot of white in there). I really considered aging it out like the inspiration picture, but I'm a gloss girl. :) Don't get me wrong, I love the look of age. I like mixing high gloss and rustic, but in small doses.


I still might put some handles on, if I find the right ones. Am I they only one that can't seem to find the perfect hardware? The drawers open easily from the sides, so I don't mind waiting until the right ones come along.
I've marked a couple more things off my bedroom to-do list....I've gotten another curtain panel that I needed and the fabric has arrived to do the skirted desk. Now I've got to get it done!





I hope you're inspired!


UndertheTableandDreaming










30 comments:

  1. i am inspired! i love it, Michelle. such an unique piece. you did a great job on the makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Michelle, you did a great job getting the look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous. I would never have thought to use the wreath forms. Great project. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,
    Oh my...it's soooo PRETTY! You had an idea and wow...love your thrifty take on it...hop over and show her off at my NIFTY THRIFTY party...I'm also having a Pottery Barn giveaway.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw this on Rue La La and couldn't believe it was just like your post today.http://www.ruelala.com/event/product/35150/3058735933/1/DEFAULT

    minus the 799.90 on sale price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! The dresser turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I am inspired! What a gorgeous job you did and the circles are perfect. Love it Michelle, you are one talented chick!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle-

    This is ingenious. I love it. I am going to add it to my DIY Daily page on my blog.

    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! So contemporary and sleek. I'm glad you did the white gloss!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Michelle you out did yourself on this one! At first I thought you were using the product from Overlays but no! You are too crafty for that, you came up with your own style and process. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You pretty much said what i could not effectively communicate. +1

    My blog:
    dsl angebote vergleich und dsl anbieter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- this looks amazing-your dresser really inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks fabulous! I have never thought about adding detail to a set of drawers like this before. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks awesome!!! I hope you don't mind but I pinned your DIY Monogram Doormat on Pinterest linking back here of course.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are very clever! It looks brilliant. I normally don't go in for adapting old timber furniture, but this is amazing. It was plain, and now it is an eye-catching piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh, that is gorgeous - you've done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should be very proud of your work, it turned out incredibly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bravo!!!
    Very creative of you to figure out how to mimic your inspiration! I like your better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so i just realized that i never told you that i featured this last week! it's freakin awesome!
    http://kimboscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/09/shout-out.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I found you on Curbly and I am glad I did. Definitely inspired. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. found this through pinterest. fabulous job. it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found this on pinterest. What an AMAZING job you did! I may try something similar in my toddlers "Big girl room" Thanks for the tutorial. I would have never guessed craft rings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Michelle - this is such a fabulous idea! I now have to find a ratty old dresser on craigslist and do the same! Who knew - wreath forms and lattice added would come out so beautiful! I am truly inspired. I found you via tipnut.

    I also found these two women who are making beautiful onlays to add to your furniture - that are very reasonable. They make Greek key designs, circles - and even Chinoiserie designs to add to furniture. They are even making Ikea kits to transform Rast chests etc. I think the name is Danika and Cheryl (have to check that though).

    Wonderful blog!!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did this on bifold closet doors and used semi gloss black paint.You can still see every hole in the wreath form, did you have this problem (you don't have a close up photo)and how did you solve it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I filled the holes with Spackle and let it dry...that did the trick.

      Delete
  25. It is gorgeous. I love the combo of circles and the linear dresser. I also liked the look of the detailing on the original brown colored dresser. I hope you do another one showing the contrast of the fretwork against another color (or the natural wood color). Kudos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle