Monday, August 29, 2011

What I've Been Up To

Well, it's time to spill the beans about my absence lately. I figured that if I didn't start sharing now that I would have too much to share, to many pictures and then end up not sharing at all. I'm not really sure how this all happened, I'm definitely filing it under 'The Snow Ball Effect' because seriously friends, it's been happening fast. I've looked into getting a booth at flea markets and antique malls before, but either they were all full or the price was too high. However, about a month ago, I noticed this sign and a number to call if you were interested in vendorship (is that a word?): I called, I went, I rented. Ha! It wasn't that easy, it was more like: I called, I went, I looked, I pondered, I thought, I hem-hawed, I walked around, I called husband, I called MIL, I left, I came back, then I rented. It was a serious process people. :)

For the next two solid days, my MIL and I filtered through my storage unit in the sweltering heat. It was full of furniture and cast offs from me, and what I brought back from NC after my parents passed. It wasn't easy, it was actually hard to go through my mom's stuff, but what kept me going was the fact that this stuff shouldn't be in storage. If I'm not going to use it, then I need to let it go. I kept everything that I absolutely loved and let go of things that I didn't.

Of course a lot of things didn't even make the cut for the booth and those things were donated.

Fast forward through all of that and two doctors appointments in St. Louis and here I am in my 10X10 booth. It of course has three walls of peg board, which is not my favorite thing....so in comes my backdrop. These are salvaged boards that we turned on the side and screwed up. When I asked my FIL if he could help me put the boards up he said "Sure, I can screw anything up!" :) Funny man.
I decided to create a trellis pattern on it, I wanted a real eye catcher. I drew out the pattern on paper then transferred it to cardboard. I traced around the cardboard starting from the middle and worked my way out. I'm not sure you can see the pencil lines here or not:


Then began the painstaking process of painting it out. And the the painstaking process of the second coat. :) Please don't laugh at me in my grubby work clothes.




So while the process was slow, it certainly added a lot of appeal to a pegboard booth! I will show you the progress as I go. The Antique mall will be open for business on September 1! I've got a lot to do!!














12 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! Congrats! I can't wait to see your booth when it's all set up! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great start! Can't wait to see what you create there. Missouri is a fabulous place for your venture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you the very best in your new venture.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the design, and you look adorable in your work cloths!! so happy for you and this new beginning, people will snatch your stuff up, you are a very gifted girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, Is the new antique mall in Col. MO? I live there and would love to come by. I've really been missing the Ice Chalet since it closed. Love your blog.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I have one booth and am adding another this week. It's tons of fun! Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea! One wall of my booth is panelling and I HATE it! Thanks for the inspiration! Oh, and I'm going to use this technique in my laundry "room" (closet) Did you really just freehand the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! I am sure you will have a ball. Can't wait to see it all finished. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool! You have such the talent for this, I know it will be a success. Can't wait to see the process and how you deck it all out. Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone!
    JR, the mall is in Joplin (Webb City) Missouri
    Alison, yes I did the pattern freehand. I wanted an oversize trellis so I used a paint can to make a circle and sketched out the rest. Of course it is based off the traditional trellis pattern. :)
    I thought it would be confusing, but really it was easier than I thought. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Michelle-

    Looking forward to seeing your booth all set up and ready for business.

    I didn't even notice your grubby painting clothes - I look like that everyday :)

    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! I would totally stop by and visit. Here's hoping it will be all you hoped for an more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle