Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Whatever Wednesday: DIY Wall Shelf


It always seems like I start every article out with: "While I was at the Goodwill the other day...."
but second hand shopping is my really my favorite, so projects just naturally seem to be produced from some rescue item at my local thrift store. So while I was at the Goodwill the other day, I ran across a pair of curtain rod holders for a whopping dollar. Worth every penny too, nothing precious, just resin, fairly traditional in style.

I zeroed in on them because I have been wanting to add some dimension to my gallery wall above the sofa, and I thought these might do the trick after a little altering, of course. They certainly couldn't hold anything on their own (save a curtain rod, har, har) but I thought that I could beef them up and they might work.


I bought a couple of .99 cent wooden plaques from Hobby Lobby (in the unfinished wood section) to attach to the top of the curtain rod holder.




I sprayed everything in a glossy white, spray painting weather is finally here, Yay! I used gorilla glue to attach the plaques to the top of each curtain rod holder and behold, a perfect little shelf! I'm so easily entertained, aren't I? I thought about using both of them and make one long shelf, but in the end, I think they will be more versatile singly.










Now of course Keegan points out the big hole through each of them, but that doesn't
bother me a bit, does it you? Nah! :)




My curtain rod holder turned shelf is the the perfect size to showcase my coral and adds some dimension to the wall that I needed! Done and done.





What do you think? Will you look at curtain rod holders a little differently? Maybe you already have some old ones you can alter! I hope you are inspired! I am working on an article to show you how I tackle a gallery style photo wall for next week (or maybe the next) and a wonderful new piece of DIY artwork that I can't wait to show you. I will be out of town for the rest of the week so things will be quiet around here until next week. I'm going to take you on a couple more field trips St. Louis style!!!





13 comments:

  1. I like it, Michelle! I also like that you kept them individual. I think it adds more interest than just doing one shelf across them. I only get to my Goodwill about once a month {I'd like to go this weekend actually}, but I usually always find something that I can do something with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous. I love them. Love the coral also, you did good. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's simply striking! Another of your ideas I'm sticking back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of what you used to make these shelves- very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a curtain rod holder? Really gorgeous! I love brilliantly re-purposed items! Enjoy the lovely day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I can't resist a thrift store. Great idea for the rod holders. I love the clean white color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear sister I think you and your talent is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!
    I will be featuring this today :)
    Angie
    http://create-it-fab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw four of these at our Goodwill this week. I thought about painting them and using them for their intended purpose, but ended up passing on them. If only I had read this post first...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT ARE THEY CALLED?
    THE SHELVES

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle