Tuesday, March 29, 2011

New Suzani Curtain Panels and Other Stuff

Last week you might have read that I was on the hunt for new curtain panels because my boring beige curtains were just not cutting it anymore. So on this past weekends excursion to St. Louis, it afforded me a trip to World Market (how I wish one was closer to me). Lo and behold, I actually found some affordable panels! Have you been to this store before? It's a cross between Pier 1 and a specialty food store. It's got rugs, pillows, dinnerware....all kinds of stuff and quite affordable.


Before (boring beige curtain panel)


I typically keep things fairly neutral and solid colors, IE boring. I like to play with pattern with throw pillows, and I still do, but this is the first time I've gone bold on the windows. You should have seen me in the store, hem-hawing over the decision. Thank goodness my MIL has a lot of patience. :)

These curtain panels have several things going for them. First, clearly, color. It has my turquoise, my orange, and a nice neutral background. In addition, I also have a yellow and persimmon color to play with too. Then there is the pattern. I have been enamored with Suzani for a while and have shopped for pillows and fabrics, so that was also an easy deciding factor. Also, they are lined and came with a nice tie-back if I ever want to do that, I thought that was a nice bonus. Oh, and they came in 96" which is exactly what I needed, I was so happy, usually that's a 'special order' to get that length.




After (Colorful Suzani curtain panel)


I also found a great wooden lantern at Home Goods. I have been looking at lanterns for some time, and this was a great looking one with a great price. I put three candles and some moss in for now, but I see doing lots of things with this baby!

Here is a quick and easy DIY project that you can do in 15 minutes or less....buy those unfinished wooden letters at the craft store, paint it out whatever color and glue to a salvaged piece of wood. This 'K' (for Keegan) just so happened to fit perfectly on a scrap block I had. Easy peasy, fun gift idea too. I love the super shiny against the old wood.



Here is a close up of the curtain, I haven't ironed them yet. ;) I was so excited I threw them right up on the rods!



I am really happy about how they are looking. Now I think I am going to buy a thicker rod and probably some rings to make them look a little more custom. I am considering a trim too, but I am not really a tassel kind of gal, so we'll see what I can find. Maybe something in jute, that would be nice! New pillow alert, I have a pillow sickness, really I do. This coordinated with the curtains so well that I just couldn't leave it. Beautiful colors in this Ikat-ish design. If you notice some new artwork on my gallery wall, I'll be showing you how I made it on Thursday. It's one of my easiest DIY projects yet!
There's nothing like a couple of shopping trips to change a whole room! Please don't mind the night time pictures, you wouldn't have been able to see the curtains as well otherwise so the pictures are a little more dull than I like.



Thank you for stopping by, I hope you are inspired to go bold on your windows!! I was a little all over the board here, I've told you before how squirrely I am! See you tomorrow with a field trip around St. Louis! Joining Kristin

28 comments:

  1. I loooooove this curtains. They're great. I like colorfull floral patterns and I realy like to have something like that in my living room, but I'm not sure if it will coordinated with other patterns in the room :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it ! I have saved this to use later again I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these curtain panels. In fact, I plan to head to Orlando this week to check them (and maybe other patterns) out at World Market. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your night shots are just fine, Michelle. I go through the same thing with my dining room ~ I long for sunlight to get good pictures but the ones I took recently of my window treatments are "sunned out"! Love the drapes you went with. The color is great. Good for you! That lantern is a great size. I love it with the candles in it. I can only imagine how you will dress it up throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Michelle! I've seen those gorgeous panels in WM before ... love the colors ... they are perfect for your space! The lantern is so handsome ... love how you added multiple candles and moss. Have a great day, *Becca*

    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh!!! I love them!!! They would go perfectly in my living room so you MUST 1) take them down, and 2) send them to me asap. Thanks :D

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. New fan here....LOVE the curtains!! Liked the "boring beige" too but these look fabulous!! Love your style and your entire home is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I love the 'K' on the scrap wood. It looks like a large stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The curtains look great and I love the ikat pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great Michelle! I love how the round motif in the Suzani is a repetition of the other round accents in the room.
    Yes, a larger, maybe 2" rod would look good.
    For a trim I would do a 2" solid band/braid along the leading edge and the top to draw your attention up.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really love the change! I don't comment often, but I faithfully read - feels like you're giving me my decorating wings :>) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, What a difference curtains can make. YOu have totally inspired me to go bold on my windows.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny! I almost bought those exact panels 2 weeks ago. Love them. They look great. Maybe I'll go back and take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new curtains! They look really good with the yellow tulips, and the lantern is perfect also, I've been wanting to get one for a while now too!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous...they add just the right touch to the whole room...not too much pattern...wish i had a world market close by...visiting from tuesday's treasures.

    blessings,

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those curtains make the room if you ask me. They are just gorgeous. I too find myself taking the simple route sometimes, but when I step out and try something new, I always end up loving the results.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the new panels! They add just the right amount of color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a suzani fanatic - LOVE your panels. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The panels are just beautiful!! I may just have to take a drive there :)
    Thank you also for your sweet visit today!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think they look beautiful. I also tend to use neutral colors and just add pops of color with "things". I made the mistake when we bought this house 8 years ago of stepping out of my comfort zone. I bought the entire window of the furniture store...total cottage look, complete with sofa and loveseat with a large cabbage rose pattern. It was gorgeous, but the print drove me crazy after just a few months. It now lives in the basement and my espresso leather is much more me. I think adding the color with the drapes is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i have been eyeing these panels on their website, but just wasn't sure. they look great in your home, i may just have to follow suit. great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I'm having some curtain envy.... these are gorgeous! I used to have a World Market right around the corner from my house; I love that store!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love those panels, I actually thought about buying them over the weekend but talked myself out of it. By the way I painted my kitchen and turns out its the same color you used. I hope you stop by and check it out.

    http://timetobeefocused.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-kitchen.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. danielledailey@gmail.comApril 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM

    I love this! And I know this is like a year late, but I am wondering if you could tell me how well they block out light. If I have them in a room with a TV, do you think I will need blackout lining? THANKS!! Beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've had my eye on these curtains for a while...finally took the plunge! Your wall color is wonderful with these. Care to share?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tracey, the wall color is Fairmont Penthouse Stone from Valspar at Lowe's

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Michelle! I think I'll pick up a sample tomorrow!


    ReplyDelete
  28. I found your blog on Pinterest just now. Wow! I love this post! I just bought these same curtains last night. I always have trouble knowing the right balance of neutral and splashes of colors here and there. So that is what led me to search on Pinterest for ideas. I was wondering if you ever changed out the rods to a bigger size and did you add rings? If so, could you please post a photo? :) I look forward to looking through the rest of you blog! Oh, and the initial on the wood block - LOVE IT!!

    Warmly,
    Penny O.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle