Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Whatever Wednesday: More Cabinet Addition Info

I have still been getting some questions on how we added height to the cabinets in the Kitchen Facelift, so I thought I would try to explain in more detail with an illustration too.

This picture shows the existing cabinets that we started with. These were measured and 1x4 pine boards were cut to fit exactly (we did butt joints, not miter corners on the 1x4's).

This picture shows the 1x4's cut and dry fitted.


Here, the crown molding has been attached to the 1x4's and ready to be attached to the cabinets.


I've done a rough illustration to help visualize the process. Scrap boards are attached lengthwise across the tops of the existing cabinets, the boards are what the 1x4's are nailed to. Justin used a small bead of liquid nails too.






The only after thought we had was to add trim to hide the seam between the cabinet and the 1x4's.


We used pre-primed crown molding, but it was really easy to prime everything and paint two coats of semi-gloss paint after everything was attached.
I used chaulk to make everything seamless, where the crown meets the 1x4 and where the trim is added.



Hopefully this will help any of the lingering questions, if not, let me know. Thanks for stopping by.






9 comments:

  1. The kitchen looks amazing, it seriously looks like a completely custom kitchen! Love the crown molding and the white cabinets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I never would have thought of doing this. I love seeing what you come up with for your home because it inspires me to get started on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful job! It completely changes the look of the cabinets. Crown molding is a wonderful thing!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for clarifying! I was JUST here yesterday looking at your cabinets again trying to understand it!
    I'm going to tackle it on mine...yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea to add height and style! Lovely!

    Andy
    www.poppiesatplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have the dropped down cabinets to do this with, but if I did I would definitely want to try it. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is brilliant! Absolute genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a girl who lives in Spain, I discovered your blog and I feel fantastic, but I have a problem do not understand English well so I do not hear your explanation, you could put the google translator that way would select my language and could understand everything.
    I leave you the link to a blog of which I am fan too so you can see the A Toolkit for Google as it has it, that you do it well.
    http://www.thestoriesofa2z.com/2011/01/pottery-barn-knock-off-script-lamp.html
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the drawing was very good and the missing link for me. I am actually doing this today! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle