Friday, September 9, 2011

The Skirted Desk



I hope your week is going well, today, I am back in the master bedroom, sharing my version of a skirted table. In my case a skirted desk. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. I think it adds a lot of visual weight and personality to what might be an otherwise plain piece of furniture and you can pick some great fabric too.




However, I'm not really sure if I should be giving any kind of instruction pertaining to a sewing project, you know how bad I am with sewing, so just keep that in mind. I am an amateur sewer.

I searched and searched but I just couldn't find a tutorial that I could wrap my mind around. So I just kinda stared at the desk for a while thinking and trying to figure out how I could do a fairly simple slipcover and not go insane. And because it worked out, I thought that you might want to try it this way too.






I ordered fabric and it arrived pretty quick......but just sat there until today. I hope you remember this desk, I gave it a paint job and chalkboard top last year. It use to reside in the kitchen, but after the facelift, I moved it into the bedroom and I liked it so it stayed. What wasn't working anymore was the paint job. Since I had been admiring skirted tables for some time, I didn't see why I couldn't try making a skirt for the desk.










Since every one's desk, console, or table will be different, I'll spare the measurements, but I bought three yards of THIS striped fabric and I had a little left over.
Also, because this is a desk, and I need to access the drawers from time to time.....I had to make it easy to lift the skirt. So my plan was to make two panels for each of the ends and one panel for the top and front.

I also created corner panels so there was something behind the sides of the panels and not just space and/or a desk leg. I measured, cut and sewed a hem around three sides, I didn't bother hemming the top edge (on any panel) since it would be stapled and I didn't want the added bulk. The finished corner panels are about six inches wide. I stapled the top of the panel right on the desktop. I also ironed the panel in half so it would be nice and easy to line up and staple. Do both corners.




Next, attach each end panels, again with staples.



Once both ends are on, the big panel for the top and front goes on. I had about a half inch of extra fabric, which is where I stapled across the back of the desk. You don't even see any of the staples.






That is it! You've created a custom tailored skirted desk! I put everything back in place and was ready to accessorize (of course!). It is a little strange to me with the lamp on the left, but it really does need to be close to me while I'm in bed.




To balance off the lamp, I used a couple of candle holders, books, frames and a little owl. The black bottle was something of my mom's that I ran across in storage while cleaning it out. I really liked it and decided to keep it. I think it might be a liquor bottle or something, I'm not sure. I liked the Egyptian motif on it and think it's pretty neat.







Remember this little owl I found at Cimarron Flea?










I love how the feminine and fancy frame and things look on the masculine stripes


The room is coming together! I bought the other curtain panel , so finally the windows look decent. Now I have to buy some glass to protect it, I'm not in a huge rush though since it's in the bedroom.


Did you notice I found a different chair? I think it's more fitting for a desk. I love the shape of it and I'm thinking of leaving the wood and just reupholster. I think.




I selected THIS houndstooth and I made a little pillow out of the main fabric already! This will make the third chair I've got to reupholster....I'm scared to death to start them!

(Don't you just love houndstooth!)




Well, I hope you give this a try, I love the look and it was pretty easy. I know some of you that are accomplished seamstresses, can whip this up pretty quick. If you have any questions, just leave them in the comments.




Thanks for stopping by I hope you're inspired! I've started bring out Fall things, have you?








12 comments:

  1. Looks great! Love the houndstooth too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedroom is so pretty! That desk makeover looks great - and I love all of your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabrics and colors in your room are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bedroom is a dream!!! I can't bring myself to bring out the fall yet. It is still so hot! But if I wait for fall here, that will be in November so I better get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chair will be gorgeous when its done! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love how everything is coming together! What an inspiration!
    Hugs, Angela
    http://angelascrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the desk makeover...you make it seem so simple! Love your bedroom...so inviting. I also love the pics on the header on your blog. You are so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle,

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Nice to visit you here! Love the skirted desk.
    xo~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Although, I loved the desk as it was :) But this looks so much more polished next to your bed. Oh, and the grasshopper? Wow, what a thing of beauty, I thought at first it was fake it was so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to let you know that I linked to this post on my blog tonight. I love the chair, and I happened to find one for my office this weekend! I hope you stop by and check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this tutorial just in the nick of time! I need to make a skirt for a desk in my living room and was thinking of sewing it but after seeing how you did yours I think I'll be stapling instead! Thanks so much for this tutorial, can't wait to find my fabric and get started!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an excellent ideal. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle