Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Autumn Pomanders



By now, you must know that I will stick nearly anything into a Styrofoam ball. I mean, why not!? For very little money and a three inch Styrofoam ball, pretty things could happen.
I have shown you how to do flower balls before....I used red carnations, check it out HERE, but since we are going into Fall, I thought I'd show you how to do it with fall flowers.
All of these flower balls are on a three inch ball, they just appear bigger, because the flowers are bigger. The bigger the flower, the bigger the finished product and vice versa, you get the picture.




I have my favorites, so I'll show you how I did one of them. I used hydrangea, big sunflowers, little sunflowers, spider mums and cosmos. My favorite ended up being the spider mums. When selecting your artificial flowers, they can be anything, just make sure the heads pop off and it stays together.
As well as flowers, you'll need paint, a 3" Styrofoam ball and a glue pan or gun and a paint brush.



Paint your Styrofoam ball with paint, I chose burnt umber, but any color will do, you can even match the flowers, I just had burnt umber out at the time. You are painting the ball just so white foam isn't peeking out from underneath the petals, (so I wouldn't pick a crazy color like blue either) This doesn't have to be full coverage, just get a good coat on and let it dry.



Pop all of the heads off of the flowers, I used approx. 20 heads of this medium size flower. Get more than you think you'll need, I'm amazed at just how many it takes. Start with the first flower, dap some glue on and press into foam.



Next, repeat on the opposite side of the ball, sort of in a north, south , east, west fashion....


Then start filling in all over the ball....




.....Until it is nice and full. Isn't it just happy looking?



Here's the cosmos ball (this one turned out really cute too)



The spider mum (with a few brown eyed susans thrown in)



The hydrangea one was the most painstaking, I will not be doing a second one of those, but these bigger flowers went very fast.




They could be a wonderful centerpiece, bowl filler, or could even be hung! I think it would be great to get even bigger foam balls and do ginormous ones for an autumn wedding or Thanksgiving! That would be fun!






At any rate, they have high impact and low cost. My kind of project. Have fun!



Photobucket




Visit thecsiproject.com






Need a design boost? For advice and guidance on style, contact me!

6 comments:

  1. How funny. I was sitting last night gluing beans onto balls. haha Very addicting. Please post this project on my "Keep It Simple" blog party on Thursday. Its the perfect idea. Hope you are well. Sorry to hear about your Uncle. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea! And yes it can be so easily adapted to all kinds of occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Looks quick and easy too! I love quick, easy and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang Michelle, you are going to put my Etsy shop out of business giving such great tutorials like that! LOl Love your fall colors on the balls. They do make great fillers for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those floral styrofoam balls are delightful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle