Thursday, September 27, 2012

Another Fall Mantle (My MIL's!)

My MIL's birthday was yesterday so as a gift, I went over to her house and decorated her mantle for Fall (free decorating is a good gift, right?:). She was at work while I did it so it was a really big surprise when she got home. 
 Remember when I made the 'Give Thanks' banner for her (Click HERE to see the tutorial)...well that's what started the whole idea....I could have just given her the garland...but wouldn't it be even better if I hung it for her and did a little foo-fooing too?
 While I live in Suburbia, she lives in a nice old country farmhouse. This brick fireplace is right in the middle of the living room. The unfortunate thing about the fireplace is the placement of the vents. Right smack dab in the middle of prime decorating real estate.
 Anyway, I knew that the banner would do a great job disguising the vents. Plus, it's not fire burning season quite yet. I can't wait to hang my Happy Halloween garland at my house!
 I also picked up these velvet pumpkins for her at Hobby Lobby and thought they would look really great on her rustic wooden mantle. I plopped the big one in her amber compote that I robbed out of her china cabinet. The little one is coming off pretty dark in the pictures, but he is a pretty chocolate brown.
 A couple of candles in a pretty caramel color, and pictures of the boys. I nabbed some branches from outside and laid it all along the mantle for some interest and used some silk hydrangea for additional color.
I hope you are inspired! This is quite different than mine, but I love it all the same.
I waited and waited until I thought she was home and finally got the phone call I'd been waiting for...she was really surprised and happy with her 'gift'. It was the least I could do with all she does for me.


2011-12-013


13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift Michelle...you did a beautiful job! I'm sure your MIL was very surprised to see what you've created for her home. Yes free decorating is a great gift!
    God bless.
    xo Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always said when we're feeling down or sorry for ourselves, bake a cake and bring it to somebody else. Your serving your MIL will brighten your heart, and I'm sure you need these moments a lot right now! Good for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely, thoughtful gift. It sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, this was such a sweet gift! I am sure your MIL was thrilled! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your MIL just loves you to pieces for doing her mantel for her! It looks great and I love the banner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, and very sweet of you, Michelle.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT!!!! THROUGH ALL OF THIS U ARE THINKING OF OTHERS!!!!! YOU ARE AMAZING.. HOPE YOU ARE FEELING WELL THIS WEEK!! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great gift! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really clever and beautiful solution to those odd vents. love the rich colors and lush textures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are feeling well, and love the mantel. Thanks for mentioning where you got the velvet pumpkins. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a good idea for a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love it and a great gift to boot, Happy late B-day Elaine love klair , will you pass that on sister. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle