Monday, January 9, 2012

Laundry Room Progress


Hello, hello! I have stopped briefly to show you the laundry room, I'm really excited about the progress. This has really been a fun project so far and I'm closing in on the finished project. Are you ready for a dose of reality? Here is the what's what of the laundry room. I am ashamed, head bowed and shaking, but you can see the need for tackling this project. The builder slapped a wire shelf up and called it a day. My poor attempt to organize with canvas totes, and the dryer a catch all for laundry room clutter. I probably don't need to point out the incredible waste of space above the shelf....

So first things first, I cleared the entire room of everything, including the appliances.



The flooring in desperate need of updating. It's also damaged in a couple of areas too so we decided to replace it.


It was SO easy to rip it up, it was kinda fun too, I carefully took off the baseboards and ripped the linoleum up. It gave little resistance and so satisfying to give it the heave-ho. Keegan took my 'action' shot for me. :)


I did have to scrape up some adhesive spots, but it wasn't too bad. The sub floor is ready for it's next life!


I've opened up a can of worms with what I did to the ceiling. We have the dreaded popcorn ceiling throughout the house...and I decided to remove it in the laundry room, just to see how bad it would be. The best method that I have for removing popcorn is a spray bottle of water and a plastic putty knife/paint scraper (plastic is best to minimize gouging). I worked a section at a time, dampening with water and scraping off the popcorn. Make sure to have something to collect the 'popcorn goop', I used a cardboard box and used the edge of it to clean the knife off too. It was practically dust free, still messy, but I didn't worry about a film of chalky dust getting everywhere.

It went pretty quick, and aside from aching arms, I'm glad I tried it.



To reward myself for all that hard work, I added more work. ;) I was thrilled with how smooth the ceiling was, I decided to feature it!! Highlight it with some stripes! I chose to use the same wall color in the kitchen (Bedford Grey from Martha) to paint the stripes and really tie the areas together, the white is the kitchen wall cabinet color (Taylor's Chalk from Martha) This room will be nothing if not fun!


The two wall cabs are painted and Justin helped me hang them. It's coming along people! I'm really excited!


I've got to get back at it! Thanks for stopping by!



Need a design boost? For advice and guidance on style, contact me!

15 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    Your room is coming along beautifully!
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! You've gotten a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure you aren't in my laundry room?? lol It looks just like mine! I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the striped ceiling. How fun is that. Can't wait to see it all done. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay - the striped ceiling is BRILLIANT!!! I can't wait to see more!!! And when you have recovered I have a laundry room waiting for you and your brilliant vision!!! ;-D

    robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking good! Love the striped ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michelle, I found your blog recently but don't think I've commented. I'm watching your laundry room redo with great interest. We're have our basement redone and the laundry room walls are down right now; waiting for some more $ to flow in (haha)before we continue and and trying to decide on the best use of the space. I have a window above the washer which is a pain. I'm figuring any improvement is a very good thing. Seeing yours looking so good is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tease you are! I can't wait to see the finished room. Funny how a small space can be so much work.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. That ceiling is going to be great! Can't wait to see it! Your review of removing popcorn ceiling gives me hope. We have lots of it and I'm so nervous to start scraping it away. Well I was, now I just want to race home and get started!
    -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle: I think that it is so great that you jumped right in and got this project started. I tend to be a mull-it-over-for-way-too-long DIY-er--a thinker rather than a doer. Your way is much more productive! :) I can't wait to see your finished project! Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the ceiling~~can't wait to see the "after"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Our laundry room had the wire shelves too and we added extra tall cabinets a couple of years ago. It made such a difference! Of course I still end up with things on the dryer...but they are neater!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking great and I know you're going to love the new cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such great progress. I can't wait to see the final results.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle