Thursday, January 19, 2012

Laundry Room Reveal

I'm Done!! I'm done!!
OK, so my weekend project turned out to be a weeklong project....you might have noticed, but the laundry room is finally finished. I'm still in that lean-in-the-doorway-and-stare phase, but I'm really thrilled that I have a weeks worth of laundry to do {NOT}!! Really though, this is the first project checked off my goals list for the new year, so when I put it in that perspective, I think we did pretty good.





The demo went REALLY quick, what took the most time was the floor.....but I am over the moon how it turned out. I will share the step-by-step on the flooring a different day, so be looking for that soon.
Anyway, let's get started on the tour.




The laundry room is a small room in the corner of the kitchen. It is small in size, but I wanted it to have a lot of personality. The rest of the kitchen/living room is neutral, so I felt like I wanted to really add a pop of color.
The wall color is Aqua Chiffon (A58-3) from Olympic Paints (Lowe's)





This is what I started with, it's bad I know....this is probably the worst case scenerio. Cluttered, disorganized, white walls, wasted space, but so much potential.

BEFORE:



The single changing aspect; hanging cabinets. Already changed my life. I found out many moons ago that I'm not an open shelving girl, so the cabinets cleaned up a lot of the visual clutter for me. I bought them unfinished (which is money saving) and painted them with left over paint from the kitchen facelift. Justin hung them the exact height of the kitchen cabinets, 54" from the floor. I helped a little. ;)

AFTER:




I found a new ironing board cover at Target, which is actually a huge detail. It ties in the grey striped ceiling and grey baskets. A clock that I spray painted, and a fun owl print I found on Etsy from THIS wonderful artist.







I thought long and hard about what type of flooring. Two things I knew: I couldn't put a ton of money into it, and I wanted it different. In the end, I decided on a ceramic tile in a herring bone pattern.





I will go into greater detail later, but it really makes me happy, and even happier that we did it ourselves.





I found this two gallon glass jar at Walmart...I have wanted to do this FOREVER...put the laundry detergent in a pretty glass jar. Yes, I'm easily amused. I was even further amused that the scoop that comes with Gain coordinates too. :)




Selecting knobs was fun, I looked at all the home improvement stores, but found these fun glazed ceramic ones at Hobby Lobby. I love the little flower detail and could not have come closer to the wall color if I tried.


The clothes rod has really made a difference (I only had the wire shelf to hang on before), little did I know the ability to slide clothes hangers would be so thrilling!




The dryer completely cluttered, this is not staged people....

BEFORE:


AFTER:

Oh joy.




I debated on whether to add crown molding to the top of the cabinets, but decided to use the space for additional storage and display space. I am really loving the pop of orange in there too.


When we started this project I allotted a budget of $300.00 (not including appliances)

So here's the cost break down:
Paint and Paint supplies:
$55.08
Cabinets and knobs:
$137.23
Flooring and supplies:
$102.06
New Accessories:
$30.10
Grand total: $324.47
$24.47 over budget
Not too bad!


Even though I've got a ton of laundry to do, I am going to be MUCH happier doing it!
I've got a doctors appointments Monday and Tuesday of next week, but look for flooring details soon!







Need a design boost? For advice and guidance on style, contact me!




43 comments:

  1. It is just crazy how I have been anticipating the after photos of a project of someone I don't know!! It looks lovely & fresh. The colors are very current! I love the use of color, love the cute little blue knobs & the laundry detergent in a glass container is great!! I really, really like your laundry room!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! I told my hubster that I want a pretty laundry room for my bday in a few months. My space isn't much bigger than yours. I know I will show him your pictures cuz I'm jealous. =o) Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, gorgeous makeover! your before looks similar to my laundry room now except mine has no shelving at-all! My laundrey room is off the kitchen as well, and looks to be about the same size. We even have the exact same washer and dryer! Your post is inspiring me to get working on my laundry room. Thanks for the kick in the rear to get moving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your new laundry room! Especially the chandelier! My guy thought I was crazy when I handed him the chandelier I wanted in ours, it just makes it so much lovely to do laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job Michelle! I love it all. I especially like the tile. I love how you positioned the tile and I like the size you chose...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sliding coat hangers...that would rock my world too!!! Beautiful job...I'll bet this will be all over Pinterest really quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So worth the wait! Great job Michelle, love the paint color and so impressed with the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful! You've inspired me to try to dress up my little laundry area in my apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks so great! i love the fun color combo, and that you have a real sized room to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely! You may have just inspired me to do something about mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific! It is a lovely, bright space now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job,Michelle!!!You inspire me! Thanks,Lj

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE IT!!!
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did such a beautiful job! I love the color and the ceiling. Now I'm inspired. Thanks for sharing. I pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The before picture looks exactly like my laundry room does right now! Its on my 2012 to do list to but I can't seem to get my husband motivated to help me do something about it. Mostly because our laundry room is a pass through for our upstairs and stuff seems to be in the path no matter what. Maybe one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone!I really appreciate your comments! I wanted to respond individually, but the threaded commenting doesn't seem to be working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you buy the cabinets? mandajo023@hotmail.com

      Delete
  17. Love the wall color!! I think you just may have changed my mind to hang cabinets instead of shelves above my washer & dryer, and I love the idea of unfinished cabinets painted any color I want! Oh my wheels are turning now, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, you made it truly beautiful! And it's small. But I've got ya beat. Mine's the linen closet!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a rock star at design! Your talent is an inspiration to so many. Be proud of yourself with a big pat on the back for the floor pattern . You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did such an awesome job on your laundry room. I love the wall color and the pop of orange. Makes me what to totally redo my laundry room now! Thanks for the inspiration and ideas.

    Lori : )
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. FAB.U.LOUS!! Paint color is one of my favs, and your details, knobs, chandy,glass detergent jar, Gain scoop(!), and owls(LOVE), just put your laundry room over the top! What a lovely room to spend time sorting socks in;-) The fact that you laid the tile in the herringbone pattern yourself is amazing!! Congrats on a terrific job!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!! I have big plans for re-doing my laundry room this year too, but my before is WAY worse than yours!!!! Thanks for some inspiration! I have a blog too, if you want to check it out! mariahscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! If I had a laundry room (instead of my washer and dryer being in the garage) I would want it to look like yours. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is an incredible difference! The laundry room looks so cheery and functional. I may have to bring my laundry over so I can do it at your house! :)
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, I missed seeing this post, I think. I don't know where to start b/c I love it all and it makes me realize just how bad my own laundry room is. Its on my to-do list, so maybe this year. I just love all the details, and its funny b/c I was going to ask you where you got that cute scoop. LOL Great DIY job, girl! Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks fantastic - love the owls! My laundry is even smaller!! It's a closet in a bathroom. Chose to build it there instead of trekking into the basement. Love it's location but absolutely no room for prettifying it!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  28. Michelle!!

    This is AWESOME and so inspiring!!!!

    Love the owl print, the orange clock, the walls and the tile. Ok, I love it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can I bring my laundry over? Such a fun place to do such a mundane task! Love the floors the most, but the chandelier is to die for too! One thing down on your goal list Michelle! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Michelle, I know how you feel I think we where working on the same project at the same time, what was going to take me two days ended up taking two weeks, LOVE,LOVE, LOVE how your came out... Happy Laundry days....we have the same washer and dryer to FUNNY have a great rest of the week

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your laundry room re-do is great! Love the floor! My laundry room is about the size of yours but I have a sink in there too which takes up so much space. No room to iron. Can't even close the door if a laundry basket is in there. I couldn't put the basket on top because mine looked just like yours...piled high with stuff until yesterday. Maybe I'll paint mine and put a pretty chandelier in there too. Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Michelle, I love your laundry room! Such a great use of space! The wall color is gorgeous! Beautiful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great Job Shell,
    Now you can come to my house & help me with our den that we are going to do this summer.
    Love ya Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  34. So bright and cheery! Makes me almost want to do the laundry -- but my husband does a much better job of it!

    ... would you like to share at our multi-blog "Imagine the Impossibilities" link party? I think everyone would really enjoy it as much as I!

    Here's the link: http://www.itallstartedwithpaint.com/2012/01/imagine-impossibilities-2012-link-party.html

    We stay live until Friday midnight (CST). Hope to see you at the party!

    Linda
    itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great Job - I know the thrill of getting a "new" laundry room - if you have time would love for you to "hop" over and see my laundry room renovation! After all, we laundry room DIYer's have to stick together!
    Hugs -
    Carol@arewethrereyet

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can totally relate to the "before" picture!!! It is the same as my small laundry room. I also loved the comment about the joy of sliding hangers across the bar. I have the wire shelving and can't "slide" my hangers...so frustrating!! I'm going to look for cabinets this weekend for my laundry room!! Thanks for the idea!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  37. Is it okay if I pin this in Pinterest? Wanted to ask beforehand, since these pics are your intellectual property :).

    Also, Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMGT the bfore is totally my laundry room... tell the truth you snuck in my house and took photos!!! However the after is totally inspiring! I am so gonna get this done before JUNE!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Holy Cow wow, THAT is a room makeover to die for!!! I'm sure laundry is a joy now, right? :) I'd LOVE if you'd link this (and anything else that qualifies) over on the Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday party happening on Kammy's Korner. http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2012/03/trash-2-treasure-tuesday-party-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  40. Would you like to share where you got these Cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, we purchased them at Home Depot.

      Delete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle