Monday, May 17, 2010

Faux Much Fun!

It is an on going battle...to faux, or not to faux.
I say, why not? As realistic as some of the faux flowers, or permanent botanical, as I like to say, are these days, it's worth it. It's worth the zero to low maintenance alone!
Creating a realistic arrangement is easy when you select the right components. The trick is to look with a designers eye, use things that are natural to help pull off the parts that are not....

I love using grasses, twiggy twigs, rocks, shells, bamboo, moss....and that's what I selected, along with some nice looking white orchids. I decided to use a beautiful clam shell for a container
Also, I found this fantastic pear shaped terrarium and had to have it! (Tuesday Morning) I decided to create a realistic looking terrarium

Hot glue {slightly used} Styrofoam into your container of choice :)

Cover with moss. This is actually faux too.

Now I can't begin to teach floral design from a computer screen, but , begin with your orchids in the middle, I just used two, and work out from that.
Using rocks, lotus pod, etc...helps give it a natural, realistic look. The reindeer moss is preserved and dyed, I love the bold green!
I used the same elements in the pear too. Rocks, moss twigs, lotus pod, and a sprig of maiden hair fern. It looks pretty convincing!

So sweet!


I am happy with how they turned out! I have been doing this for many years...but if you're a beginner, or just want to create your own arrangement, study how the flowers naturally grow. I used 2 bamboo stick to 'hold up' the orchids, just as if they were real...


Faux is not so bad!












It's faux much fun!
Sorry, that was cheesy!


Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions, leave it for me in the comments and I will respond to you there. Also, if you want to see even more photos of Faux Much Fun {and more}, visit my Flickr photostream. Check it out on my side bar!
Thanks to all of you for the wonderful response about the Etsy article! It has been so exciting! I am hoping to get together a giveaway, since reaching 500 followers...I was hoping to have it together before I reached this wonderful milestone, but it snuck up on me! Stay tuned!
I hope you are inspired!




DIY Day @ ASPTL
Photobucket
Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life

BWS tips button










27 comments:

  1. Beautimus! I love it....pretty is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is gorgeous! I just found out about reindeer moss and made topiaries out of it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, faux is "faux much fun"! Especially, when YOU do it! Your orchid arrangement is gorgeous and so natural looking! The little pear terrarium is perfect too!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am very impressed with your beautiful designs. i think it is a challenge to make faux look good. you have certainly done that and more! i really like the little pear terrarium. i have seen this kind of thing before and wondered why the hole was there!!! i didn't know what it was!!! now i will be on the lookout for one!
    all the best,
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...Why not? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always inspired! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really pretty, Michelle! Perfect for this time of year when we want simple and not fussy. I also love what you did with the pear terrarium.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply stunning! Thanks for the "how-to" -- you are clearly a talented artist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your arrangements. That one on the big clam is gorgeous and I love anything that has to do with pears. Love that glass pear. So unusual. Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pear shape is really nice! I think faux flowers in a home can be exquisite. Some people however hang onto them beyond the lifetime of the flowers used and it's then that they look tacky. Keeping the arrangement simple is key also I think.

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a great DIY project. You are one clever and crafty girl.

    I just finished a project that took 23 years to complete.
    Come take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a floral designer myself I say BRAVO!!! Very well done!!! I ADORE the pear shaped terrarium!!! Must get to TM and see if they have them! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Serious drooling going on. Both of your arrangements are just stunning. I love them and what a beautiful vignette together. Thanks so much for the tutorial, I have a lot of these same elements and would love to make one, now I think I can. Wow, love them both. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, the title of your post is so cute (yeah, I like cheesy). Next, you sure make this sound easy, but I know that if I tried one of these, it wouldn't look as pretty as yours. I love all natural both of them look. You are so talented. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have some amazing arrangements! Just beautiful work. Your photography is amazing too!
    Thanks for visiting today.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michelle,
    Thanks soooo much for all the awesome ideas here...your container looks outstanding!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love EVERYTHING about your designs, including the faux elements. What a nice respite to have such decor in your home, it just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is one creative idea!1 I love it. I am hosting a new party today...Centerpice Wednesdays and I would love to have you link up with this or any other centerpice ideas you have. I love seeing what everyone comes up with..it really inspires me. Come on by.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Michelle, I love florals -- although not the super flowery kind. You have hit upon the perfect arrangement. A touch of flower and a lot of organic, combined with sparkly -- all create such an inviting look and intrigue. Very Zen. Excellent Excellent Excellent. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That look FANTASTIC! I say fake it until you can't kill it! That might take me awhile with orchids and cats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is simply stunning and so innovative..love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks beautiful! I'll all in favor of faux- you can't kill it. Your arrangement is very realistic looking too! Just found your blog- love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Michelle!

    I wanted to thank you again for linking your project to the Boardwalk Bragfest. I also wanted to let you know that I featured your project on the blog, and you can see it here:

    http://wwwbobbypinsboardwalk.blogspot.com/

    Please feel free to grab a "featured" button! I hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Found your blog via Bobbypins Boardwalk and so happy I did....this is so adorable. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We were both featured on Bobbypins Boardwalk and I had to stop by to check this out. What a wonderful work of art! You would never know it's faux.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle