Monday, May 3, 2010

Ribbon Pillow

Just when you thought I couldn't get one more pillow on my sofa...I went and made another one. Just for the record, I am not a seamstress, but simple, elementary projects: I'm OK...just don't ask me to whip out a dress or anything.
If you read my post about embellishing store bought curtains with ribbon, then you know I have discovered the genius of Heat n Bond....which inspired this whole project...I want to see what all I can bond together!
I found this beauteous fabric at Walmart in the 1.00/yd bin, not only was it a beautiful shade of turquoise, but it has the most beautiful shade of cobalt blue on the reverse, that I just fell in love with!

Because I can't sew, yet have some sort of fabric fetish, I bought some and decided to first make a pillow, then maybe with the remaining yardage perhaps squeak out a tablecloth. Unless I can get my dear MIL to sew for me. Elaine are you out there?
I wanted a lumbar type pillow and cut a rough shape out. I planned to have the cobalt on the back, but wanted to have a smidgen on the front too, I cut about about 4" off one side
and flipped it over



I sewed it up and ironed the seam flat





Using Heat n Bond and the same ribbon I used on the curtains, I adhered two strips of the plain ribbon side by side and a second ribbon from my stash, on top, right over the seam. I love the little white stitching on it.





I sewed the pillow up and turned it right side out. It looked pretty good...so far





I stuffed it with poly-fil and hand sewed the opening. I've never sewn ribbon before, but it was really easy and looked nice and tidy.
You might notice in this picture that I forgot to flip the fabric over to have the solid cobalt on the back before I sewed the pillow, oh well...







That will just give me an excuse to make another pillow!!! :)

Loverly!







Thanks for stopping by! I hope you're inspired!!!
















DIY Day @ ASPTL







11 comments:

  1. I love the colors! I don't sew at all...I mean a button is a real task for me, but I love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your timing couldn't be any better. I am in the middle of a pillow making frenzy and was wondering whether to stitch the trim onto the pillow or to use that iron and bond. I'm going with your method.

    The pillow is gorge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I love your use of colors in your room! We move so often that I've never really decorated (not knowing we'd move again so soon) but now we're in one place to stay for awhile so I'm looking for inspiration! I love how your room looks! Thanks for the pillow tutorial. I don't have a single pillow... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I don't know if I could pull this off, but it really looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! There are so many ways you can use ribbon to easily update things around the house. I added a Greek key pattern to a set of plain curtain panels last year and it made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Dear One, I am inspired! The pillow is so lovely! You've having a ball with the bonding stuff!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the nice crisp look of that ribbon pillow :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks like a million bucks! nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pillow! I share your love for fabric (but limited sewing skills) dilemma. :)
    We have a Friday Fun Finds linky party... we'd love it if you'd link to this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pillow! I will be featuring it on crazydomestic.com on Tuesday, Aug 24th. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your ribbon pillow making skills. I was able to learn a lot. Here's what I was able to make.

    http://www.etsy.com/your/item/edit/51716697?step=publish

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle