Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fall Mantel 2013


I've been thinking about decorating for the season for a while now-I'm always inspired by Fall! By the time the season gets here, I have a pretty good idea what I want to do. I even do some sketches as ideas come to me.
I didn't even get around to showing you my Summer mantel...this is how it's looked for several months.

When Justin and I were at Ikea last week, we bought this botanical canvas. I didn't know how much I would love it until I got it up on the wall.
 It's a large piece and it matches in scale the sconces that I have....It really makes a statement and I let it guide me in the rest of the living room. I wanted to do something different for Fall. I use all the colors anyway...green, brown, black, orange, and even blue....but the deeper green-that I've never used.
With my energy level being super low-the fireplace is the only area I'm going to decorate this year. I'll probably work on the porch as well, but we'll see. I made this little apple wreath to hang down the face of the fireplace. I've always admired the fresh apple versions but these are little artificial apples and will last year after year. All I did was cut a wire clothes hanger and push the styrofoam apples on one at a time and finished off the top with some burlap.
 Along with the emerald green, I decided to do a more muted palette vs. shocking orange which I've done in the past. I'm really liking it for this year.
 The lanterns I bought last year during Christmas time, so I am really happy to use them for fall this year.
 I seem to always anchor the mantel with an arrangement and this year is no different....it's what I do and I love doing them -so why not! This one is pretty tall, reaching all the way to the ceiling with the branches. Maple leaves, millet, hydrangea, berries and curly willow-all things I love to work with.
 Little mushroom images (from the Graphics Fairy), I printed them here at home, cut them and literally taped them to the mirror with washi tape.
 The little revamped garden stool from yesterday. Click HERE to see the before. It's the same shade of green as in the canvas and it looks fantastic up against the walnut buffet. This makes me happy about my decision to do a bold green!
 I'm still enjoying my ikat curtains and haven't changed them in several months-that's always a good sign.

 An evening shot-so cozy with the battery operated candles! ;)
I hope you are inspired and Happy Fall!

Joining Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick
2011-12-013

23 comments:

  1. Your room and your mantle looks delightful and I love the way you can change out the beautiful mantle to what ever colors you like or what ever season, keeps it so fresh and new...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phyllis! Yes, I don't think I do the same thing twice! ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your mantel! It has the right amount of height, and detail! The evening shot with the candles lit is so pretty. Happy Autumn to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful, Michelle ... full of Fall color (love the scale of your arrangement)! Your room is so warm and inviting ... love the cute mushroom printable from Graphics Fairy (she rocks!), and I love the pop of turquoise, too! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mantels always look gorgeous and so well put together! I always look forward to seeing what you do for each season. I have a question...the fabric you used for your curtains is lovely, where did you purchase it from? I'm assuming you made them, but maybe not. I'm thinking of doing something different and that fabric would look nice in my room. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you! The curtains I bought at Z Gallerie a couple of years ago. They were marked down quite a bit so I doubt they still have them-sorry!

      Delete
  5. Looks beautiful, warm and cozy! You are so talented! Do you buy all of your floral material at the same place to get the colors right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much! I get floral from any where....from the usual suspects (Hobby Lobby/Michael's) to online to local boutique shops. If it looks good/natural/realistic I'm in. I actually like mixing it up so it doesn't look like I've gotten it all in one store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the more muted tones and natural elements along with the lanterns and of course, the beautiful arrangement you created. I love the height of it and the vase accents the colours in it perfectly. You always do such a wonderful job on your seasonal mantels (love the summer look too). Nice to see that you have the energy to be "playing"!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your style! Your mantelscapes, tablescapes and room vignettes would make a great interior décor book...The Ultimate Arranger. If I were a publisher, I'd scoop you up!!! Thanks for sharing with us...you are an inspiration in so many ways. Warmly, Lynn C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I always love your style!! I also love the picture of the little pup sleeping it it's bed in the background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such an eye for design - from your wreaths to your mantels. Perfection. I just came upon your blog via pinterest and will be lifting you up in prayer as you fight this battle (which you'll defeat!!) with cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle you craft simply the best floral arrangements and you are truly an inspiration. I stumbled across your blog early last autumn and I've been following ever since--a little blip about me: I don't follow craft blogs or any blogs at all! Just yours, and I'm hooked! And I'm super happy that holiday wreaths are popping up in your Etsy store. Your pine swags are my all time favorite. Many thanks, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle, I'm just now seeing it and WOW again! Thanks for posting even though you don't feel good. I am praying for you this morning and after I come home from church, I am going after my mantle! With love and a wish today for God's extra dose of strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle, this is so gorgeous! And oh-so-cozy... I would love to curl up with a good book!
    Brandi - Nest of Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle!! Long time - No visit. I recently saw one of your mantels pinned and came over to see what you're up to -- and as usual LOVE the refreshed mantel and living room restyle!! The apple wreath is darling and I'm crushing on those lanterns -- BEAUTIFUL <3 You are truly an inspiration -- Although I've done some changes, I haven't been doing as many restyles since we moved to AZ -- I think because we're renting and it just doesn't feel like our "home" -- Hoping to leave here by next year and get back to the east coast. Blessings to you and your family :)

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Michelle, I am very inspired by your beautiful fall touches. Your sense of color and balance is superb. I want to make the little apple wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That painting on the was just amazing to look at. That would surely be wonderful hanging on my wall.

    Canvas Photos

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow such a lovely interior designs thank you so much keep blogging great work..



    Packers & Movers
    Movers & Packers

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle