Monday, October 18, 2010

DIY Inspiration Board


I've been wanting to make an inspiration board for some time now. A place to pin up things like magazine pics and paint samples, anything that strikes my fancy. I would love to have a separate office/work space but because this house is a little on the small side, I've sliced out a tiny spot in the master bedroom to put my desk and I've hung this right over it.



I used a cork board that Keegan kicked to the curb a while back, and I claimed it for this project. We've had it so long now I can't even remember where I bought it, though I'm sure any office supply shop will have them. This size is the 24 X 36 and is the perfect size for this project.



Here's what I used:


24X36 Cork board


Upholstery fabric cut to size


Upholstery nails


Staple gun and staples




Lay the cork board face down on the wrong side of the fabric. Cut to size if needed. I chose to use heavy upholstery fabric, I think it lends it a more sophisticated look, especially with the nails.





Pull the fabric tight and staple around the back side of the frame and cut off the excess





I used silver upholstery nails that I found at the Home Depot, but they come in brass and black too.

I did a combination of measuring and eyeballing to get the nails going...put one in each corner of the side you're working with and one in the center...so on and so forth, until the space gets small enough to eyeball. I didn't want to get too far apart or too close to together which would have happened if I worked from one corner to the other, work on one side at a time. Get right up next to the frame and gives it that, well, upholstered look.

I hung it over my desk and was using it right away. The beautiful Anthropologie outfit that the gal is wearing is the inspiration for the color pallet in the bedroom. I can't pull off the outfit, but I can pull off the bedroom design! :) The colors are beautiful. I really think that I'm going to paint the chocolate walls, but I'm really torn, I really love the chocolate and the stripes, not to mention how long it took me to do the stripe treatment....but I'm really wanting to light up. I think. Maybe. Maybe not. It's so cozy. And I love chocolate. I need some help. Mentally.

Anyway, this is an easy project that took under an hour. Low cost too, actually the nails ran around eight dollars, the remant fabric was a dollar. Not too bad. Try it.


Inspired by:
Bryn Alexandra


Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest



14 comments:

  1. Never knew a corkboard could look so elegant! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I should try this one out on my very large cork-board in my office :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sleek and pretty. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, I am thinking of doing something similar to a cork board we have hanging in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out really well! Thanks for all the tips on using the nailhead trim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. It sure beats the heck out of my big piece of cardboard that I have to hide behind the bookcase when people come for a visit. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    Love this idea for inspiration! The upholstery tacks are gorgeous and the color is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have several cork boards that need a makeover. I also have upholstery fabric. I see this project happening in the near future. Thanks for the inspiration!! It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Michelle,

    You did a great job on this inspiration board ~ lots of detail giving it lots of character!

    I have enjoyed perusing many of your posts! Sweet place you have here :)

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I am loving this! Those upholstery nails are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The upholstery nails make it perfection!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. michelle! can i just tell you how much i love you! i have been looking for a beautiful, inexpensive frame to turn into a corkboard but havent had any luck! i need it very soon for church! well, i love this and might have to copy! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle