Monday, May 6, 2013

Embrace Color With Furniture Pieces

If you've been reading for even just a little while, you know that I have a booth space. It's not huge, but when I see a piece of furniture I snatch it up...just like this table. I have to love it, of course, and usually want it for myself, but that's the trick you see...you can't save the good stuff for yourself. :)
It seems like every time I paint a piece a bold color, it sells....so I just follow my heart, listen to my gut and let the piece tell me what color it wants to be. This can be hard sometimes..."Will it sell?", "What if no one likes that color", "What will people think?"...these are the questions that ALWAYS surface when I see a piece of furniture that I'm considering for my booth.
But I try to smoosh the fear, wipe off the bottom of my shoe and go for it. I'm not saying it's easy, but just like the Artist, the biggest fear is a white canvas...you just gotta do it-just start. That's what Mrs. Hile taught me in college anyway.



So this is how this little piece started. Gorgeous legs, fantastic shape is what you see, but in addition....damaged top, some gouges, and extremely dry wood-just begging for a nice layer of paint....it's the body lotion for wood ;)

Love the turned detail and cross members.

When I'm busy listening to the piece, I'm also thinking about the method of painting. I'm not a member of any particular camp, I spray, I hand paint, I use foam rollers, brushes...I'm like Switzerland. Neutral.
Whatever gets the job done.
When a piece is small and has lots of turned details like this table, spray painting is usually what I decide on. It just makes my life easier and really, can you imagine hand painting those legs?


I chose Blue Ocean Spray from Krylon for the color, I can't even count how many times I've used this color. It's right up there with Ivy leaf and they look great together too. I probably used three cans of paint in total.
I contemplated leaving it nice and smooth, but because of the obvious age of the piece, it seemed like some distressing was in order. Plus, I think it makes people feel like they can live with a piece a little better when they're not stressed with a "perfect finish"...although I haven't always distressed-see? Neutral.
I did not do any repairing on the top either-I embraced the imperfections and that is okay.
150 grit sandpaper used for distressing the edges and legs.
To knock the color down and stain the exposed wood (caused by the sanding), I used dark stain, just like the little green dresser.
Can I say how much I love this color? Go embrace your favorite color!
It's going to be hard to let this one go, but down to the booth she goes.
I am getting chemo today, then my trip, so I will not talk to you for a while. Thanks for being here anyway.

2011-12-013

11 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, and the color is pefect! I would be so tempted to keep this one, oh wait, I WOULD keep this one! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color and the table style. Good luck today, I'm praying for you. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's perfect. Prayers & smiles being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how this turned out!! I have the exact same piece, so now I'm inspired to give it a face lift! Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table came out so pretty! Wishing you all the best also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your work...as ususal! Good luck with chemo and have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Michelle this turned out beautifully! If I lived near you I'd snatch it from the store :) Take care of yourself on your trip. Hugs,
    ~Deb~
    CDAC DT Member
    A Look Through My Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the table--a very pretty color! Okay--I can embrace that color :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Michelle, I just love your little table and the color is just perfection!! Don't know if I have seen this color before so thanks for the heads up!! I love little tables too, they just talk to me and say "I want to come home with you" I know what you mean about sending them on their way....I struggle with that....that is why I have too much furniture in my house! ;) Praying for your next treatment and hoping all will go well. We really do enjoy your posts so very much! Blessing, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this table it came out stunning! The color is perfect for the piece, it looks so happy now. Take care during your next treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely table. Thinking of you today, on Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle