Friday, January 29, 2010

Jute napkin rings



Jute: Burlap's stringy cousin. Love this stuff. Even stranger; I like how it smells. Yes, I'm a jute sniffer.
Really, you just can't help it.

I was perusing through the local thrift store and spied a zip lock bag of napkin rings. $1.00. super.

The bag contained 8 simple, basic wooden napkin rings and I knew the round portion of it would be nice for wrapping. I have also seen sets of 4 at the Dollar Tree too, but in plastic.






I heated up the ole glue gun and glued one end of the jute in the inside of the ring, and just started wrapping, making sure that the jute stayed super tight. The only time I glued again was if I ran out of string or at the very end.





If you do run out, I did during the first two, I wasn't sure just how much it would take. Just cut it off on the inside, attach more string to the inside and start again. I think it took about 4 yards of string, if you can believe it...






See the wonderful napkins that are modeling the newly juted rings? Gift from my good friend, Judy. Which I lovingly call Jude for short (which isn't spelled any shorter), and often sing the song of the same name...Thanks Jude.




Jude knows about my green and white obsession



I am not a salt and pepper shaker collector, but I might be on the verge, because I have quite a few. I'm drawing the line at S & P shakers, placecard holders and napkin rings...but that's it!


This is my newest acquisition-how cute (and GREEN)!





I love the texture the jute offers. I see many tablescapes being created with these babies!



I'm also thinking about an embellishment of some sort. If I come across something really cute and creative, but for now I like the napkin being the leader.





Thanks for stopping by, hope you are inspired!

Visit Donna to see a lot of creativity!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special





13 comments:

  1. What a great idea and I love the look of them. They would be great for so many different tablescapes. Thanks for the tutorial. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- I love these-what a good idea. Your "sniffing" made me smile! I love the natural element. Now, are you sure your collection list is complete?...this is how it all starts :) I also am a S&P and napkin ring collector...and teapots...and soup tureens...and napkins...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jute is great! So earthy looking and it goes with anything you choose to put with it. Very nice!

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo...I'm sitting here with a bag of wooden napkin rings from our thrift shop. I wasn't sure if I was going to use ribbon...paint...still trying to figure it out. I love the idea of wrapping them, yarn would work too. Thanks for the great idea!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle, These napkin rings look great. I hate to admit, but I am also a smeller. I love the smell the pages of a new book. Weird, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle,
    These are seriously TOO cute! I love them! They look great with your napkins. I want to make myself a set!!! Hopefully I'll get lucky and find some "unloved" napkin rings and turn them into "very loved" napkin rings! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    What a great idea! As always, wonderful photos!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. They turned out so cute! I love the birds nest salt and pepper shakers! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific idea! Love the rustic look of the jute napkin rings! Hmmm, I have some plain rings that just might need that treatment. Those green & white napkins Jude gave you are gorgeous! And I can't believe how perfectly your new S&P shakers go with them. They are adorable...little eggs sitting in their own nest! S&P has come a long way!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! And I confess, I'm a jute sniffer too. HA! What a really fun idea for a rustic look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So clever and so cute! Love the contrast of the rustic jute against those pretty napkins. Those s & p shakers are sooo cute! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those napkin rings are great! I love it!
    Midge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog and this project - so fun and they make the table look so rustic chic! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking the time to comment! Because of the insane amount of spam comments, I had to stop anonymous comments-sorry for the inconvenience.
Michelle